Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

The difference between a problem and a feature request

dennis_20dennis_20 Member Posts: 87 EDU
When we run into a problem or detect what looks like a problem we submit a support ticket.  That is as it should be and we get notified when the problem has been resolved.

However, we often come up with a request for a new feature.  That is not a problem so a support ticket is not the proper route to take.  As such we were posting these new feature requests in the discussion forum and they would garner additional discussion.  It is appropriate to make these public and open for discussion.  Now (as of about a week ago) we have the Improvement Request (IR).  Good.  Here is a section specifically setup for IR's and their public comment, though it could stand some improvement.

Here's my complaint.  Previous IR's that have been submitted in the public forums have only partially been put into the new IR section.  We were told by OS to submit these as service tickets so there are other IR's that reside in the service ticket section alone.  By the way, those aren't public to the members.

Here is what I want.  I want OS to comb the public forums and the service tickets for these IR's and put them into the new IR section.  This is not because I don't want to move my own items there, but because by OS doing this they will see the big picture and will be in the best position to collate and summarize these.

->Rant = off

Comments

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I prefer Ons guys implementing those earlier improvements rather than moving them around for us to vote.. Let's just see how things develop with the new system.
    //rami
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @dennis_20 Using the ? menu -> Feedback IS a fine option for those to send in improvement requests (IR) to Onshape.  Adding the public list was an option to allow others to vote on these requests.  These are two options to give us the ability to view feedback from two angles.  We will not publish our entire backlog of improvement requests to the public.  The 1 to 1 submission was working for us and I added this new option to allow for another way to get users to +1 a feature that may or may not send in their own ticket.  This is not for everyone.  Many of our users don't visit the forums and making that the only way to submit an improvement was not considered.

This is also why we opted to not to call our feedback tool "Submit a bug" or "Submit an improvement" we just wanted to get feedback anyway it came in.  This gave us a more organic understanding what direction users need the product to go.  I think we have been very open to our plans and have shared our major roadmap changes with you along the way.

I am glad there are some positives to the improvement area and I hope to improve it as we grow.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    dennis_20dennis_20 Member Posts: 87 EDU
    @lougallo, So, if I want my previously submitted improvement requests to be public and open for comment I can resubmit them in the new Improvement Request section?
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @dennis_20 We would rather not have them as duplicates. I can contact you directly if you have more specifics.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.