Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

F1In Schools Onshape Program

john_doubledayjohn_doubleday Member Posts: 58 EDU
F1 1 In Schools is insanely powerful in all Australian and most likely international and the CAD systems that get used is the system that has the best support and at the moment that is Autodesk Fusion 360 and their Inventor.

My school would love to use Onshape but teachers dont have time to create massive tutorials ...check out the competition  and start developing 3 basic courses. Beginner , Intermediate and Advanced.
What do others think about using Onshape in the F1 In Schools massive user group? 
Tagged:

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Hi John, It would be great if schools could use Onshape in their F1 programs. I think it would be a perfect solution.

Out of interest have you tried the Onshape College Curriculum? I think @Noah_Feldman helped put this together.  https://www.onshape.com/edu/college-curriculum?hsCtaTracking=2a4159dd-4dd9-42ae-8837-fcd9cc742c37|ec766e19-7906-4596-bf46-0cb2ddb0b00d

I was also thinking about doing an Onshape Meetup or maybe even a 1 or 2-day event focusing on using Onshape in the classroom. I am thinking this would be in Melbourne or maybe even Tassie. Would you be interested?
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    I participated in Formula SAE in college. I would have loved to have used Onshape then (this was before Onshape was out of beta). I can't tell you how many times I installed SolidWorks on my bootcamp partition, lost many hours after simulations overheated my machine/ran the battery dry faster than it could charge, or lost work after I got the closing screen of death from SolidWorks.

Collaboration, not having to save or check in/check out, never losing data is amazing for collaborative designs like that. 

I think you mean @noa bruce :wink: 

@john_doubleday,
    We have many training videos and here is our entire video library. I'm sure @noa has some good advice for your situation. 
    Support & QA
  • john_doubledayjohn_doubleday Member Posts: 58 EDU
    Hi John, It would be great if schools could use Onshape in their F1 programs. I think it would be a perfect solution.

Out of interest have you tried the Onshape College Curriculum? I think @Noah_Feldman helped put this together.  https://www.onshape.com/edu/college-curriculum?hsCtaTracking=2a4159dd-4dd9-42ae-8837-fcd9cc742c37|ec766e19-7906-4596-bf46-0cb2ddb0b00d

I was also thinking about doing an Onshape Meetup or maybe even a 1 or 2-day event focusing on using Onshape in the classroom. I am thinking this would be in Melbourne or maybe even Tassie. Would you be interested?
    Hi Bruce,
    Thanks for the 'College' Link no haven't but will look closely at it.  Would have to have any PD time approved and that takes ages. I don 't think you would have many takers in Tassie...still to new in regional schools and 'Traditional' CAD rule. Schools need to innovate and they are not very good at that. An idea maybe is to create a Onshape F1 in Schools FB page to  start creating interest in the teachers that all ready use other CAD programs
  • noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    @john_doubleday I think the benefits of Onshape in a student/team environment quickly become apparent as you begin using it. Between the ability to share a document and see edits happening simultaneously from multiple students, to full history and version control built in, to even logging in from any computer anywhere, it's a compelling switch.

As for learning materials, I'd echo Jason and strongly encourage that you start by looking at our college-level curriculum here. There is over 460 pages and you can pick and choose what you teach/learn.

As you dive in, be sure to communicate here with the results! There are many people, both Onshape users and Onshape employees, all happy to help.
    Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.
    Hi Guys,
    Yes the College Curriculum looks like a great start. I wonder how we put in a ticket for  F1 In Schools Curriculum Support material. This would be a game changer for Onshape in education not just in Australia but around the world
    Maybe there might be a small number of Onshape users willing to collaborate on creating a public F1 In  Schools Program using Onshape ? 
  • Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 198 EDU
    edited March 2022
    I've just been dropped into the middle of an F1 in schools program, did this gain any traction?  Any Onshape resources emerge?
    edited March 2022
    Ok, I'm guessing that's a 'no' then.
    Follow up question then;

As part of the F1 in Schools design process, they need to do some testing so,

What's the simplest method for taking an Onshape model and then running it through a wind tunnel simulation?  I've tried simscale but it's a bit involved, SolidWorks (I'm sorry...the college has it already....I'm waving the Onshape flag though)  seems to have a simpler set up but it crashed on me, haven't had a chance to retry and I'm still trying to coax the verification e-mail through the college spam filters for Onscale solve.  Anyone any suggestions?

A public, very quick, not great F1 in schools car is here.

The Solidworks tutorial I was attempting to follow that made things look simple is here.
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Contact @Domenico_DiMare He might be able to help you on this one.
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

I've finally come back to this.  I think I have a nice work flow which makes it 'easy', or at least easier to use simscale.  Maybe.
    Put together a screen cast (sorry about sound quality, I may redo).

https://youtu.be/XQQHY4IJH5c