Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Arc with straight segments with loft

Kai_himselfKai_himself Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
Hey,
I made three sketches:
1x Loft, i choose the Loft tool and select all intersections. The segment are not straight, they are bend.
1x Loft with Guides, i draw two outside outlines at every segment and choose them as guidelines. This wont work... i dont know why ?!
5x Loft, i make every segment with one loft, this works the segments are straight.

Is it possible to to it with only 1x Loft and right guidelines ?
Why are my guidelines are wrong ?

Best regards
Kai

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    No, 5x is the way to go.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    No, an arc to a line has an abrupt change in curvature at the end of the arc/line. Surfaces want/must try to smooth things out. 

It's the same reason you can't have a spline that makes a corner.

If you want straight lines, then change your arcs to ellipses and maintain tangency across the boundary. Or, connect the lines with splines and maintain curvature across boundaries.

• Options
    Kai_himselfKai_himself Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    ok, Thank you very much and have a nice weekend :)
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    Rhino has an option in their loft tool for straight sections like this, and I've missed it from time to time. I've considered writing my own FS for this at some point, but it's not super high on the list.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    @Kai_himself

In the case of what you’re modeling, you could also use a sweep

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/997311fd7d7e6086696b41fb/w/5336c2235d0f4b15994bf969/e/4d8850db0ca83b8d9b5d1310

There’s two different parts studios in the doc
    Look down in the lower left for the two tabs