Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

'Some External References Are Missing'

larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
..which I can eliminate except for the origin's 'Use' reference. Can't provide the document but this doc has more than one reference like the one shown in the pic. Can't find a way to delete the ref. at the origin. The sketch behaves OK but is always red. Any hints?

Thanks

Answers

• larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    OK, this is always the darndest thing. As soon as I post a question I figure it out. There was a point (actually 2) hidden in there with the origin. Easy peazy...
  • bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    Glad you were able to sort it out! What I typically do is hide the plane and origin point before I start to diagnose the issue. Pressing the "SHIFT + P" keys will hide the planes and origin for you to start!
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    edited November 2020
    THANK YOU   

Tried hiding everything with no luck and right clicking the red 'Use' ref box gave a delete sketch entity option but it would remain. Turned out in this case that selecting the point that was ref'd and deleting it did the trick. VERY confusing as typically right clicking the red ref box and deleting it would solve the sketch but this time it took deleting the point itself. Probably expected behavior but had me flumoxed for a while.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @larry_hawes
    You can select the constraint and press the delete key (or backspace key) to delete it. I don't think there is a way apart from deleting the actual point without the keyboard.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • cogzoidcogzoid Member Posts: 5
    My bad external reference that I can't remove is the Vertex of the Origin.  When I press Shift + P there is no hidden point or anything to press.  This has happened on a couple of sketches after a relatively small edit of the sketch they referenced.  Any ideas?
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    I've run into this before, it seems the only option to select the "red" reference and delete it.
    Sometimes it might look like it's not doing anything but I there might be more than one "on top of each other" and I've had to delete several times before it went away...
    A context "delete all broken references" would be helpful in these cases...
  • cogzoidcogzoid Member Posts: 5
    Well, that was it.  There were like 10 stacked on top of each other, so I didn't think the deleting was doing anything...
  • tracy_flemingtracy_fleming Member Posts: 4 EDU
    Thank you all for this thread. I had the exact same issue but but have no idea where all of those references came from. Oh wel, some questions may go unanswered but I was also able to finally remove the broken reference(s) after removing like 10 or more times. The select behavior seemed weird though so I'm suspiscious that it finally 'took' once and I didn't really have 10 or more to remove. I may never know, but thanks...
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Sometimes the easiest way to remove external references (or even relations internal to a sketch) is to select the things you want to disconnect and use the sketch transform tool to move those elements. Then you can move them back where you want them and re-add the relations that you actually need.