Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

can't find a way to boolean...

vincent_bcnvincent_bcn Member Posts: 9
edited May 2022 in Using Onshape
Hi,
I need 1 unique part. I can't find a way to boolean the 3 parts. Is there another tool/method or any idea of what I can do? Thanks a lot. I'm stuck...

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    The inside parts (Part 2 and 3) share an edge. The Parasolid kernel (the underlying 3D engine which drives Onshape, NX, Solidworks, etc) can't do a Boolean with things that intersect at an edge. You might be able to Boolean add Part 2 to Part 1 in one feature, and then in another Boolean feature, add Part 3 to the result of the first Boolean.

Part 3 and Part 1 also look like they are intended to share a surface, but in fact have a weird gap/overlap situation.

Overall, I really wonder why the sketch for the revolved shapes are created with so many line segments. It seems like something which would be better with a spline or some arcs. You're also creating things that could just be revolves with a sweep in one case and a loft in the other. If in fact the shapes are revolved, it's generally better to use a revolve.
  • Options
    Hi S1mon, thanks for the post. I'm using Onshape for 3 month now, so this kind of comment are perfect. I will try to symplify everything.

S1mon said:
    You might be able to Boolean add Part 2 to Part 1 in one feature, and then in another Boolean feature, add Part 3 to the result of the first Boolea
    I can't do that, a weird red line appear and I cannot figure why Onshape is ponting only this one. I made the link public.

• Options
    S1mon said:
    You're also creating things that could just be revolves with a sweep in one case and a loft in the other. If in fact the shapes are revolved, it's generally better to use a revolve.
    I used the revolve and sweep tool. What do you mean?