Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Edit SM flat view

allen_schultz135allen_schultz135 Member Posts: 19
Hi guys, I am struggling to cut or extrude & trim the flanges in a SM flat view. my URL is
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/100f854b232297dd1a027ef4/w/82a76a40d9c1515d01232905/e/b5352dd9c6f9a654423bd1ec

Comments

• Options
    Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    edited May 2022
    Hi @allen_schultz135 ,

you have to close the sketch and then you can cut it away with an extrude cut

Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    edited May 2022
    like Alex said, you need to close the sketch. Sometimes it is hard to see the closed shaded area on certain color parts.
    Here you can see how you can check for this problem in the future.

By selecting the area you want to extrude, if the whole flange highlights, you know there is a gap somewhere that needs to be closed.
    Also, you have a lot of blue geometry (not fully defined, add some more dimensions).
    Also you have a lot of extra points floating around in sketch 3. If you aren't using something you should delete it.

Think of extrude like MSPaint's bucket fill tool, where you need a closed region, or else it will extrude everything.

From what I have seen with your recent posts. You really need to go through the Onshape Tutorials. Onshape Learning Center
    I have no problem helping out someone with a question. But these questions are all showing me you haven't learned the basic fundamentals yet.
    The lessons are short and sweet. Taking the lessons will be much quicker than stopping everything and waiting on the Forum to reply.
  • Options
    allen_schultz135allen_schultz135 Member Posts: 19
    Thanx John. Allen.