Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Unfold cylindrical object around rotation axis

simon_kunzsimon_kunz Member Posts: 2

Good evening!

I am part of a project which wants to build a DIY rotational 3D-printer. One current problem is the slicing pipeline. Since we do not have a rotational slicer, we want to unfold a rotational 3D object, slice it with a traditional slicer and do some post-processing (like transforming to rotational coordinates).

The following graphic should clearify my question:

I am searching for a transformation function which "unfolds" a (maybe complex) cylindrical object along its rotational axis. Here the distances between two points on the surface (and also "inside" the volume) have to be the same in both objects. Otherwise the amount of extruded filament will to less. With every new layer this error increases and the printed object is not usable.

I found a related post here. But they don't keep the circular length of the layers and only unfold the cylinder with edges orthogonal to the resulting planes.

Does anybody know how I could achieve my transformation or knows how it is called? I have asked and searched a lot but did not find anything which worked the way i need it.

Or is there maybe a better place to ask my question?

Best regards!

Answers