Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to fill solid of the inside suction cup's bellow?

ismat_jahanismat_jahan Member Posts: 25
Hello,
I am trying make inside solid-mold of the suction cup's bellow part like the reference. For this I need to fill up the inside of the bellow to get the solid inside-curves.
My plan is after getting the inside curve solid model, 3D print it & use it inside of the silicone mold. I just can't fill the hole accurately to get the inside's solid curves.
How do I do it? Suggestion please, I am struggling on this...

Comments

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    I think the "enclose" feature should work for this...
    Or you might have to do a "zero offset" surface out of the external faces and cap the open end(s) with the "fill" feature
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    One lazy way would be to just model a new block around the bellows, perform a boolean subtract, and then delete the external body to leave the internal volume. It's not necessary the most elegant method, but it requires few selections and is robust to changing geometry. The block would just need to have the same flat top and bottom surfaces as the bellows.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9274ff6f8d6ef85343d41bc3/w/1e2f935958fd3d24ad19de38/e/debefeb8fb0d2e985eb8bee2

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    edited May 2022
    Another quick way:

Create top and bottom surfaces with Fill (just pick the circular edge). Then Enclose (pick the fill surfaces and the bellows). Then you can Boolean Union. This doesn't require any sketches, and the selections are very simple.

• ismat_jahanismat_jahan Member Posts: 25
    I did the zero offset of the external surface but I can't fill with solid by capping the open ends
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    I did the zero offset of the external surface but I can't fill with solid by capping the open ends
    The fill can only do one opening at a time, you just need to use 2 separate fill features.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    The fill can only do one opening at a time, you just need to use 2 separate fill features.
    This is the exact kind of thing I wrote that Cap feature for. It just finds open edge loops and does a fill with positional continuity. Nothing groundbreaking but it's convenient.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
    S1mon said:
    Another quick way:

Create top and bottom surfaces with Fill (just pick the circular edge). Then Enclose (pick the fill surfaces and the bellows). Then you can Boolean Union. This doesn't require any sketches, and the selections are very simple.

It's the most easiest way I found! worked like magic! THANK U.
    This is the exact kind of thing I wrote that Cap feature for. It just finds open edge loops and does a fill with positional continuity. Nothing groundbreaking but it's convenient.

Yes, the cap feature is new to me! from u I learned this method. Appreciated.

Got it!
    S1mon said:
    Another quick way:

Thanks a LOT!!!! <3 I'm overwhelmed with joy! <3<3 

mahir said:
    One lazy way would be to just model a new block around the bellows, perform a boolean subtract, and then delete the external body to leave the internal volume. It's not necessary the most elegant method, but it requires few selections and is robust to changing geometry. The block would just need to have the same flat top and bottom surfaces as the bellows.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9274ff6f8d6ef85343d41bc3/w/1e2f935958fd3d24ad19de38/e/debefeb8fb0d2e985eb8bee2

Thanks a LOT!!!! 3 I'm overwhelmed with joy! 33