Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Decal and wrapping to a part

bill_poehnerbill_poehner Member Posts: 4 EDU

Any chance Onshape can add to the labeling feature?  In the past I would have students bring images of say a soup can label in from the internet and wrap that as a decal on Autodesk Inventor.  This would take a bland looking cylinder can and instantly turn it into a real life looking soup can…a feature usable for Coke cans, superhero logos and much more etc… This is the type of stuff that allows a middle school teacher like myself to get kids into CAD.  It is a hook of fun and realism matching their abilities.  I would love to get that working on Onshape.  I know Onshape will allow me to bring an image in but so far it only allows me to trace from it not actually wrap it as a decal or label to a part.  Is that a possible future update?  Please let me know.  Thanks, Bill

Comments

• eduardo_rodriguez688eduardo_rodriguez688 Member Posts: 4
    I've been asking for the same thing, open a ticket, and I was sent to the FAQ, or some other page....frustrating.  If they don't have this feature they should just say it!!!
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    They don't have the ability to wrap an image. 

But you can wrap a sketch then color the segments. 

Not what you're looking for at a middle school intro though. 
  • jason_martindalejason_martindale Member Posts: 2 EDU
    It is a real shame- Love Onshape-awesome capability, but I could apply a decal on prodesktop more than 20 years ago! 
  • francis_muylaertfrancis_muylaert Member Posts: 1 EDU
    edited October 2021
    I agree they need to add a wrap feature for images. I have been using Inventor for 10 years and have been able to do this without any issues. My students create a bottle or can and a label that they wrap around and then import the finished product into a presentation. The presentation will not have the same effect without the label. Unfortunately, I may have to go back to Inventor. I have really enjoyed Onshape but I am learning it's limits.
  • MrNobleMrNoble Member Posts: 1 EDU
    So funny that everyone else requesting this feature is teachers transfering from Inventor.
  • david_michelmandavid_michelman Member Posts: 2
    MrNoble said:
    So funny that everyone else requesting this feature is teachers transfering from Inventor.

and people who want to make visually presentable models
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    We would use this too for sure... It's possible to do in the rendering world but (that I understand EDU don't have access to yet) but sometimes it would help to be able to apply a simple picture to things in the modelling environment