Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I draw/place different parts on a sphere?

ismat_jahanismat_jahan Member Posts: 25
I want to recreate the design below. What would be the best way to do it?

I haven't drawn anything over a sphere or curvy shapes before but only practices the warp feature in addition to boolean subtraction & intersection to create new parts curvy on both sides.

But I am really confused with how do I add the metal/aluminum brackets over the curvy surface from the scratch? Also how to calculate equal distance of the flower shaped parts/place them at the right place where I need, all over the sphere?
I am struggling here....Suggestions please...

Comments

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,504 PRO
    edited June 2022
    The way I would approach it would be to create a hollow sphere on the origin (with a revolve for example) of the same thickness as the pieces on the outside.
    Then sketch the outline of the piece (say centered on the front plane) and extrude with "intersect". If you nee side faces of shape to all point towards the center it's a bit trickier, maybe in the case you would use a loft between that shape tangent on the outside and a point at the cente of the sphere (I think that should work?)

Gave it a quick try and it looks like it would work...
    You would want to put a mate connector in there so you can place it in the assembly (and then pattern it in there).

The metal bit can be sketched directly on one of the "arms" of the part. You would then use the same process for the other bits. I haven't looked at what the angles need to be but you get the idea...

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c3c71edee5eab91be153228d/w/4627d123a3cb28e4ccf99aa7/e/e2597e69bf64f02453705129?renderMode=0&uiState=629bdc800bee3252bb2aa924
  • Options
    ismat_jahanismat_jahan Member Posts: 25
    The way I would approach it would be to create a hollow sphere on the origin (with a revolve for example) of the same thickness as the pieces on the outside.
    Then sketch the outline of the piece (say centered on the front plane) and extrude with "intersect". If you nee side faces of shape to all point towards the center it's a bit trickier, maybe in the case you would use a loft between that shape tangent on the outside and a point at the cente of the sphere (I think that should work?)

Gave it a quick try and it looks like it would work...
    You would want to put a mate connector in there so you can place it in the assembly (and then pattern it in there).

The metal bit can be sketched directly on one of the "arms" of the part. You would then use the same process for the other bits. I haven't looked at what the angles need to be but you get the idea...

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c3c71edee5eab91be153228d/w/4627d123a3cb28e4ccf99aa7/e/e2597e69bf64f02453705129?renderMode=0&uiState=629bdc800bee3252bb2aa924
    Your detailed description with the document helped me a lot to understand the idea. Thanks a lot for your time & effort! <3<3 Happy me

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,504 PRO
    @ismat_jahan
    You're welcome! Now you "just" have to figure out the math and angles to recreate the parts on the picture.
    Good luck!