Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

is it possible to automatically update dxf files derived from drawings

baumarbaumar OS Professional Posts: 76 PRO
drawings have a function to update when the part has changed. I can export a dxf from a drawing but I guess this is not updated automatically and a did not find a function. Is the only way to update  the dxf by exporting it from the drawing again?
Tagged:

Comments

• mfalkensteinermfalkensteiner Member, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 62
    edited June 2022
    The export of file formats (regardless of which) always refers to the time of the export and is not associative. May I ask, what is the DXF file used for?
    Principal Technical Services Engineer, EMEAI
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    When a release with a revision is made, it would make sense to have the option to autogenerate neutral files. With Solidworks PDM at a previous company we auto-generated STP and PDF. Even if vendors or partners are given access to your Onshape documents, they will still likely need to import some neutral file into their tools, so it's better to make sure that the neutral file is correctly generated at the right time using standard options.
  • mfalkensteinermfalkensteiner Member, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 62
    Onshape's REST API can be used to trigger an export (eg PDF, DXF, STEP,...) when an object is released.
    Principal Technical Services Engineer, EMEAI
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    @mfalkensteiner

That's nice, but in other systems a few clicks in a GUI by an admin is enough to set this up. I would strongly recommend that Onshape implement something to make this really easy. Ideally there would be options for where the neutral files end up - in the document or in a connected cloud location.
  • Ulrich_HanischUlrich_Hanisch Member Posts: 24
    It would be great to automatically create pre defined neutral formats at each and every (new) release. In the SWX universe, there is some app (ATR Customtools) to automate this. Best would be to be able to ...

1) Differentiate between several aspects to feed different file formats, such as DXF of the flat pattern when some sheet metal was used, STEP for all 3D docs without sheet metal, PDF for all drawings, etc pp.

2) Automatically feed some pre-defined Google Drive / Dropbox / Onedrive account with these released neutral files. This adresses two seperate aspects:

2a) The design process is very agile when using some cloud CAD/PLM but the production of physical parts is typically not that agile. Manufacturing is a very physical thing and also pre-manufacturing steps such as generating G-code are typically specific to a given NC machine at a given location. So it would make sense to automatically collect all released neutral files at a pre-defined client machine. Which can be done by using a file sharing mechanism with automated replication to client machines à la Google Drive / Dropbox / Onedrive.

2b) These neutral files, replicated to pre-defined client machines, are a perfect backup to ensure production in the case of corrupt internet connection ...
  • baumarbaumar OS Professional Posts: 76 PRO
    Thanks all for the discussion. Looking forward to see the outcome. 
    @mfalkensteiner: I have created a fully parametrized document. Before building a 'real' that is 1:1 installation, I always create a model. That means for each version I need to create at least 2 dxf-files - for each drawing. I will have a look at the Rest interface and see if this solves the issue. But I agree with Simon that this solution is a bit sophisticated. 
    Thanks again
    Markus
  • Dmytro_ZaitsevDmytro_Zaitsev Member Posts: 8
    Onshape's REST API can be used to trigger an export (eg PDF, DXF, STEP,...) when an object is released.

Hello, could you please clarify - where this API can be found and how it works in details? Thanks
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
  • Dmytro_ZaitsevDmytro_Zaitsev Member Posts: 8

billy2 said:
    The event onshape.workflow.transition do you know how it works exactly ? I mean will it trigger only on release or resealed? What response this event return?

• baumarbaumar OS Professional Posts: 76 PRO
    Hi Dmytro, thanks to open the port into a new world of the REST API!!!