Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Total Newbie.

chris_dragottachris_dragotta Member Posts: 2
I'm a saxophone mouthpiece craftsman and I want to learn CAD.  I am signed up for a 14 day trial and I have an .stl file of a sax mouthpiece that appears when I load it, and I want to discover how to use the software.
It seems that nothing I do to make a change to this file works.  I change dimentions and click the green check mark.  Nothing.   Is the .stl file not editable?   Is my trial not allowing me to make changes?  I see no way to export the file to other formats.  All I want to do is change the shape and export as a .dwg  file or some other generally acceptable CAD format.   Can some one offer me some advise?

Comments

• Options
    Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    Hi Chris,

check out the Learningcenter there are tons of great and short tutorials to everything you need.
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,365 PRO
    STL files are not really designed to be edited (they were created for 3D printers). Onshape added a Mesh type which allows some ability to do solid features on top of a Mesh (from an imported STL), but to do truly parametric CAD, you’ll need to model the features yourself.
  • Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    Create an account at Grabcad there you can find beautiful design,s of what your looking for, with editable step files.