Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there a way to make a one-way gear relation?

Rebecca_LevyRebecca_Levy Member Posts: 4 EDU
edited July 2022 in Using Onshape
I am assembling different gears and am working on animating them accurately. I have two motors, one to control the wheel angle and one to control the wheel speed (this makes more sense if you look at the assembly). I'm stuck at the middle (at a gear called "Double Gear"); either I can rotate the wheel angle properly or control the speed properly. One solution I see would be having a one-way gear relation between two revolutes, but I don't know how I would do this. Please let me know what I could do. 
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1c733cbf7ceabc25ed39dcd9/w/870cce6af5170cb26878d434/e/d3368da5b219a98161b196a6?renderMode=0&uiState=62d0742190b5a311a53b5294

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    edited July 2022
    I'm not exactly sure what you're after, but if you want a part you can manipulate that acts like a controller for the mechanism, you can do that like this:
    Gear Question - Copy | Mk4i angle (onshape.com)

I just copied your tube, since I just needed any part to act as the controller.
    then I created a rack and pinion relation to control the wheel speed
    and a gear relation to control the steering.

• Options
    Rebecca_LevyRebecca_Levy Member Posts: 4 EDU
    To clarify, I have two assemblies one has a working control for speed, and the other has a working control for the wheel angle. The problem I have is within the Base Pulley by either connecting the double gear and the speed gear or the base pulley revolute and the speed gear. If I could make a gear relation that allows the base pulley revolute to rotate the speed gear, but not the other way around, I think it would work.