Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Help with screw rotation

jack_ellis462jack_ellis462 Member Posts: 5 EDU
I am trying to use a screw relation in on of my projects to move a threaded bolt in relation to the rotation of a threaded rod. All of the documentation I've found has had the moving object the same As the rotating object, such as in image

Screw Relation

">this example.

I've created a sample project to show my issue because my actual project is harder to explain. 
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/573e63361a1ee3b63d4daf9d/w/6e10cdbd60aef2ad24d89bfc/e/f99cc4a8bf6149253c57d497?renderMode=0&uiState=62d4f2f5c44aa124c9dd1b0b
I'm trying to find a way to move the nut by rotating the bolt, where the nuts rotation doesn't change but it moves linearly, and the bolt's position doesn't change as it rotates.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    I think you just need more contraints: add a revolute mate to the bolt so it doesn't float in space, and then make sure the nut has a slider mate so it doesn't rotate (but not to the bolt or it will rotate with it).

Something like this (I just inserted the sketch and fixed it to use as a reference but I'm assuming the bolt would have something to mate to in your "real" assembly):
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e625e5c32e968cc08d31ad16/w/b53a18366c25d64a15f772c2/e/0f379fedb61d7670c8dd589f
  • jack_ellis462jack_ellis462 Member Posts: 5 EDU
    That's exactly what I'm looking for @eric_pesty thanks!
    for some reason, I thought you could only use cylindrical mates with the screw relation. 
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    @jack_ellis462
    You are partially correct, the screw mate is looking for a cylindrical mate for some reason so you need it there, but you can still use other mates to force the nut to move (rather than the screw!)