Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

OnScale and Onshape 500 Core Hours

Aaron_MagninAaron_Magnin Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 114
edited September 2021 in App Store & Partners Apps

If you’re here, you’ve probably seen the in-app message, or you're an active member of the Onshape forum. 

This post is to explain the details about the “500 Core Hour” offer going out to every Onshape Professional subscriber. 

What is it? 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/fkvty9toav?embedType=iframe&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=480

For additional details, see the OnScale website below:

Start Today

To take advantage of this offer, there are just 3 simple steps*:  

1. Register and/or Log in to OnScale Solve

2. Connect the Onshape App to OnScale Solve

3. Start simulating your Onshape CAD in OnScale 

*Please note that if you've already registered and connected OnScale to your Onshape account, to trigger the 500 core hour bonus, you'll need to either (a) start a new project and import a document from your Onshape account, or (b) disconnect and reconnect your Onshape account. 

For more detail, see here. 

FAQ’s

Who receives 500 Core Hours?

Onshape Professional and Onshape Enterprise users! For information on OnScale Solve’s pricing, check here!

How can Enterprise users get the 500 Core Hours?

If you're a part of an Onshape Enterprise  -and you have confirmed your organization can use OnScale- please reach out to our team for assistance: onshape-developer-relations@ptc.com.

Will I still get all Core Hour bonuses of a free OnScale Solve user?

Yes! And to upgrade your account, check out OnScale’s pricing page for quotes to bring professional simulation to you and your team!

Are all OnScale Solve features available with this offer?

This is “feature unlimited”, meaning there are no limitations on what you can do! You can make full use of OnScale Solve’s simulation functionalities, including Computational Fluid Dynamics, Mechanical, and Thermal / Thermal-Mechanical applications! 

If I’m an existing OnScale Solve user and I have already connected my Onshape Professional / Enterprise account, will I receive 500 Core Hours?

Yes!

What simulation applications is OnScale Solve best at handling today? 

OnScale Solve is a multi-physics solver, capable of Mechanical, Structural, Thermal, and Computational Fluid Dynamics. They’re rapidly improving and adding new features to enable more use-cases! More details can be found here!

What is a Core Hour?

You can learn all about this and more in the Basics about Core Hours section of the OnScale Solve Simulation Fundamentals course in the Onshape Learning Center!

What if I run out of Core Hours?

OnScale has an overage (Pay-As-You-Simulate) plan. OnScale Solve’s pricing can be found here.

Where can I learn how to use OnScale Solve?

There are 3 ways to learn OnScale Solve:

1. In the Onshape Learning Center. Find the OnScale Solve FEA course here

2. Try a tutorial from their world-class engineers! They have 10 minute Simulation Tutorials to ensure you to get the most out of your simulations. 
  3. Try the guided video tour:  from your first login, through post-processing, they’ll guide you through the whole process.

If I have questions regarding OnScale Solve or experience issues signing up, who do I contact?

OnScale has a team of Application Engineers ready to problem-solve with you on your simulation applications, or answer any questions or issues regarding this offer! You can contact them on our contact page (https://onscale.com/contact-us/) or email us at support@onscale.com.

Comments

• Options
    I forgot to mention one thing in the above wall of text. When creating your OnScale account, please ensure that the email  used is the same as your Onshape account. That'll help ensure this goes as smoothly as possible. If you experience any issues, please let us know! 
  • Options
    Ben_Tek_PacBen_Tek_Pac Member Posts: 49 PRO
    edited September 2021
    if I already have an account with Onscal Solve how do I get the 500 core hours? do I need to activate it somehow? at the moment it says I have 40 core hours available
    Also, if I have more than one Onshape account, do I get more than the 500 core hours?
  • Options
    @Ben_Tek_PacThere are two ways to trigger the 500CH bonus...either you upload a new file from their integrated Onshape option, OR you can unlink/relink your Onshape account. 

And each and every Professional+ subscription is entitled to the 500 CH's, so use it up! Let me know if you have other questions. Feel free to email too, at amagnin@ptc.com.
  • Options
    left_sideleft_side Member Posts: 10 PRO
    About a year after the 500 core hours were offered this FEA is still feature lacking compared to SimScale.   SimScale now limited to ten simulations, just enough to get a simulation setup and one good simulation after nine mess up.  I'm not an expert and do simple simulations, here is what I find lacking: 
    • Good tutorials or documentation
    • Adjustable MIN and MAX in the legend after a simulation is performed.  
    • Selectable engineering units in the legend
    • Tables of forces to be applied instead of having to simulate the same scenario 5 times with different loads, you would simulate once and step through the results.
    • Configurable materials
  • Options
    @left_side OnScale will see a massive uptick related to development seeing as they were acquired by ANSYS. SimScale is also a fantastic product and is continuing to add new capabilities day in and day out. That said, we'll make sure this feedback is brought to their attention. Thanks!