Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Background colour (color) change?

Stuart_TodStuart_Tod Member Posts: 56 PRO
Woke up this morning and logged in....my part studio background has gone black! I have searched for 'change background color' in the forum and the help pages, but to no avail...what's happening here? I want my white 'paper' back!

Comments

• Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Woke up this morning and logged in....my part studio background has gone black! I have searched for 'change background color' in the forum and the help pages, but to no avail...what's happening here? I want my white 'paper' back!

Hi Stuart_Tod,

In my experience, this usually happens when there is a crash or an error in the graphics driver talking to our graphics code.  Can you please submit a support ticket to help triage and also go to https://cad.onshape.com/check to see if any issues are reported?
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    Stuart_TodStuart_Tod Member Posts: 56 PRO
    Jake - support ticked submitted, no graphics issues reported! I updated the ticket when i noticed that if I use a menu button (extrude, etc) the background reverts to white while it processes the command but then straight back to black when 'resting'.

• Options
    paul_gorkapaul_gorka Member Posts: 2 PRO
    I have the same issue when working from a laptop.  Any resolution?
  • Options
    paul_brittonpaul_britton Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    Any resolution for this, I have just logged in and my studio background is black as well
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    this usually means your browser stopped using your graphics card.
    You may need to re-start your browser, computer, or re-configure your browser to use high performance graphics card, rather than the integrated graphics.

If that doesn't work, you have to dig deeper into the browser configuration... let me know if these first steps work first
  • Options
    jb_morchjb_morch Member Posts: 2
    SOLUTION: This happened to me today. I am using the Brave browser 1.58.129 (based on Chromium 117.0.5938.88) on a Dell XPS 13 9315 2-in-1 laptop. This configuration isn't ideal but normally works. Today I had a black background which at first I thought looked nice but then I realized I couldn't see any of the dimension lines. The primary symptom was a performance error in onshape (see image below). I had to go into the Brave settings (upper-right hamburger menu -> More Tools -> Performance -> System -> Use hardware acceleration when available). I had to toggle that setting off and then back on again, relaunching the browser after each toggle. After that the onshape performance error went away.