Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

"Show dimension" for non sketch based features

shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
Currently when I select "show dimension" using right mouse button on sketch based features such as extrude, revolve etc. I can see the dimensions of the related sketches and if require I can edit them. But this option also displays for the features such as fillets, chamfers, pattern, datum planes etc. which are not sketch based features. But after selecting I cannot see any dimensions. I am using some workarounds such as taking the measurements by measurement tool or going into the actual edit mode. But if these features are in early stage, entire model tree has to regenerate when I will go to edit mode.
In Creo when we say "edit" we can see the dimensions without going into actual feature edit mode and just required dimensions can be changed. However it also requires regeneration of entire model but at least it will save the time when user just need to ensure the dimensions. But when we say "edit definition" it will go into feature edit mode where you can change the dimensions with references. This applies to all features. So, I feel that could be a nice approach we can suggest to Onshape.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I'll just quote myself:
    "1. Possibility to add 3D dimensions (not just view sketch dimensions, but separate tool to add needed dimensions. All driven, just for viewing - changes would be made through sketch/extrude)

See complete request for named views:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/1039/enhancement-for-named-views

//rami
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    We are aware of this and are looking to have feature dimension in at some point.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.