Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Share only a Branch

bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is it possible to create a branch of a part and share that branch with another Onshape user to possibly make changes to and would not make changes to the original design until approved by document owner.

Here is a scenario:

OEM company has a designed a bracket, and send the Onshape document branch that is set for the vendor for production and are open to make it more cost effective with a different manufacturing approach than what is designed.

OEM has designed the part to be machined.

Vendor receives branch of the Onshape document and can only work in this branch since this is the only permission given to them by the OEM.

Vendor can make it more cost effective by converting it to a sheet metal part and still keep design intent.

OEM can review what the vendor has done and choose to merge into the main design and move forward with the vendors design change.

Giving permission to the vendor to just a branch can allow the vendor to make changes to the part and at the same time does not affect the original design of the OEM. Is this something Onshape can do?

Bryan Lagrange
Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Yes, I'd like to be able to do something like this too. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    I believe something like this is in the works and was previewed at the global event. I forget what it was called or exactly how it worked, but it allowed for permissions at a more granular level than a whole document.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can get some of my customers on the Onshape bus with that capability.
    Bryan Lagrange

• matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @bryan_lagrange, submit an IR.  The use-case that you describe would be particularly valuable.  As you stated, its all about getting customers-of-Onshape-customers "On the Onshape bus".  As far as I can tell this is new territory, above and beyond, the typical functionality of GIT-based branching and merging workflows, which seem to rely on collaborators to branch responsibly rather than mucking up the main workspace.  Prior versions (and Onshape history) provide a backup, but I would definitely support the additional level of control that you describe.

The related improvement-requests that I have found thus far are all directed more at public documents. 

• bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @matthew_stacy I will copy this and put it in the improvement request area. 
    Bryan Lagrange