Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape for Android is HERE!

lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
edited August 2015 in Onshape Mobile
Today we are launching Onshape Mobile on Android for public beta.  Our first public release is now available for free on the Google Play Store.

Get Onshape for Android Today

So head over to the Play Store and get it installed today and let us know what you think. We have also prepared some tutorials for you and we are holding a webinar next week to review the capabilities in Android.
I also want to thank all of you that helped us with the early testing of Android as well as the various comments posted here in the forums.  

NOTE:  New functionality is implemented on our mobile platforms usually a release or two after improvements are added to to browser version. In most cases you will be able to edit these new features (like the new Hole feature) but will not be able to create these new features until those functions are added to the mobile platform.

This is a big milestone for our Android team and I wanted to say big THANK YOU for all the hard work!  We hope you are as excited about this as we are and we look forward to your feedback.  ~Lou
Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.

Comments

• pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    wow.  you guys are killing it this week.
  • juan_avilesjuan_aviles Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    Can't wait to try this out.
  • john_32john_32 Member Posts: 1
    Is there any method of download besides Google app store?
    Some of us may prefer not to open a Google account, which is required to download from their App store
    A direct link for already registered OnShape users might be useful.

• mark_8mark_8 Member Posts: 2
    I'm glad you took the time to get this one right. It's a fantastic app. For the first time I feel that I can get real work (that isn't just email) done on a tablet.
    Can't wait to see where it goes from here.

• matthew_menardmatthew_menard Member Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    Not sure what my issue is, but on my Galaxy Note 8, I can't see my models or the view cube in the top right corner.  Tap and dragging around gives me the illusion that something is happening, but it just looks like graphical glitches.  Any suggestions for what I'm doing wrong?  I can post a screenshot when I get home later if that is more helpful. 
  • john_f_carrjohn_f_carr Onshape Employees Posts: 74
    Not sure what my issue is, but on my Galaxy Note 8, I can't see my models or the view cube in the top right corner.  Tap and dragging around gives me the illusion that something is happening, but it just looks like graphical glitches.  Any suggestions for what I'm doing wrong?  I can post a screenshot when I get home later if that is more helpful. 
    I showed this post to an Android developer who didn't think of anything obvious except maybe your device is old.  Like the web client, the mobile client has a feedback option under the (?) menu at top of screen.  If you send feedback it will get routed to the mobile team.
  • abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    @matthew_menard - What version of Android are you running?  Can you open a support ticket about your graphics issues?  To do this in the app, tap the ? in the top right corner and select the _Feedback_ option.

Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
  • CypressCypress Onshape Employees Posts: 19
    Matthew, you're not doing anything wrong! It sounds like there's probably incompatibilities with the specific GPU on the Galaxy Note 8. We'll look into that to see what we can do. It may end up that the our graphics library isn't compatible with that device. Screenshots do help, but I think I have a pretty good idea of what it may look like. We've seen similar issues before on the Samsung Galaxy S2.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @matthew_menard We recommend running Android 4.4 KitKat or higher.  Device age will be a factor as well but if you send in a ticket from the device we will know more about the device and can see what is possible to get things corrected, if possible.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
    Thank you all very much for the fast responses.  I will be following up with Mr. Frankenfeld, whom has already sent me an email.  Great service, thanks again!
  • chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    My 3 year old Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 runs Android 4.1 and cannot be upgraded to a later version of Android.

Looks like I have missed the boat!!

It it possible for the developers to make OS run on V4.1?
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    In less than 5 minutes, it's up and running on my phone.

I must say that it does look amazing on my LG G3 though.  The panning, zooming, and rotating is extremely fluid and the lines are very sharp.  Haven't tried to do any real work in it yet, but the visuals are great.  Keep up the good work.
  • Paul_15Paul_15 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    I'm trying it on my Vega R3 while riding the subway in Seoul Korea. The interface is pretty slick.

There have been a couple of crashes and there is some lag in moving from mode to mode. For example going from visible to hidden. Probably there are no servers on this side of the planet yet.

I'm wondering where import and export are on the mobile version.

I'm looking at data usage as that could be an issue here. While coverage is really excellent, data plans all have a ceiling.

I'm also wondering if Korean will get support. There is a SW shop I want to work with, but they only know Korean. Big surprise there.

한국에서 한국어 많이 하죠.
    In Korea they use Korean a lot. 
  • imagineeredimagineered Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    Opens up on Samsung Galaxy S5 mini, but doesn't run. Graphics really struggle.
    Good effort anyway guys - sure it'll get there.  ;)
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Samsung Galaxy S6 (lollipop) and Samsung Active Tab 8" (kitkat) running good.
    //rami
  • sean_30sean_30 Member Posts: 1
    My 3 year old Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 runs Android 4.1 and cannot be upgraded to a later version of Android.

Looks like I have missed the boat!!

It it possible for the developers to make OS run on V4.1?
    Yes, anyway to try and side load it for us with older Galaxy Note 10.1s?
  • daryntaylordaryntaylor OS Professional Posts: 31 ✭✭
    OnS Working great on my Nexus 5 and 9, but a few glitch's on the older Nexus 7, all running Android 5.1.1.
    Well done to the Android team, great work, please keep it coming.
    @daryntaylor what type of glitches are you seeing on your Nexus 7? (this the 2012 Nexus 7, right?)
  • imagineeredimagineered Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Well that's it for the Sumsung Galaxy Mini (4.4.2). Thought I'd give it another go this morning, & it actually crashed the phone....complete shutdown & reboot.  Might have to go for an uninstall. 
    Would've been a nice to have on the phone, but not a necessity. Tablet would be better, but it looks like I'll have to upgrade that one as it's only got 4.2 JB - unless I go through the trouble of Root/install ROMs. Is the recommended level lollipop?
  • daryntaylordaryntaylor OS Professional Posts: 31 ✭✭
    @cypress_frankenfeld_1
    In response to your queries, I have sent you a PM.
  • rbaekrbaek Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 77
    Well that's it for the Sumsung Galaxy Mini (4.4.2). Thought I'd give it another go this morning, & it actually crashed the phone....complete shutdown & reboot.  Might have to go for an uninstall. 
    Would've been a nice to have on the phone, but not a necessity. Tablet would be better, but it looks like I'll have to upgrade that one as it's only got 4.2 JB - unless I go through the trouble of Root/install ROMs. Is the recommended level lollipop?
    It appears that the GPU of the Samsung Galaxy Mini only supports up to Open GL ES 2.0. Some of the graphics extensions that we rely on are used in Open GL ES 3.0, and Open GL is not forwards compatible. Therefore, even though your device is Kitkat and above, the Open GL compatibility appears to be the issue.

The recommended device environment is to have the device Kitkat (4.4.x) or above, and to have a device that supports Open GL ES 3.0. This will lead to having the optimal Onshape experience on Android.
    Yes! I recommend Lollipop. I'm also looking into the types of crashes that you are getting. Some android devices running 4.3 and above have differing support for OpenGL extensions. It sounds like the Galaxy Mini potentially is missing some graphics extensions that we expect in our app. @imagineered, feel free to talk to me via PM and I'll see what I can find out about your specific case.
  • mark_8mark_8 Member Posts: 2
    OnS Working great on my Nexus 5 and 9, but a few glitch's on the older Nexus 7, all running Android 5.1.1.
    I've had the same experiences .. runs well on my Neuxs 5 but not on my 2012 nexus 7. But now I have a golden excuse reason to buy a new toy tablet!
    mark_8 said:
    I've had the same experiences .. runs well on my Neuxs 5 but not on my 2012 nexus 7. But now I have a golden excuse reason to buy a new toy tablet!
    Hahaha. Yes. Onshape is secretly making money off of tablet sales. But shhhh. Don't tell.

But on a more serious note, I'm familiar with the Nexus 2012 crash, and I'm looking into it to see what we can do. Fundamentally, most of the devices that it crashes on (when you open a document) have an issue that boils down to an older OpenGL implementation that doesn't support certain things we are using in our graphics library.
  • brian_11brian_11 Member Posts: 7

Same issue on Note 2 running 4.4.2

I left feedback with the app although I wasn't sure if it automatically included information about my device in the feedback.  I think not.

brian_11 said:

Same issue on Note 2 running 4.4.2

I left feedback with the app although I wasn't sure if it automatically included information about my device in the feedback.  I think not.

If you left the feedback through the feedback form from your device it should automatically record the device model. : )
  • tom_blanartom_blanar Member Posts: 1
    I was really looking forward to the Android version of Onshape so when I heard that it had been released I rushed right over to the Play Store to download it.  Unfortunately it all came to a screeching halt when I saw that Onshape requires full access to my contacts...that's a no-go.  Not that my contacts are all that interesting or anything but there is just no need for most apps to be in there.  The news is full of stories about security breaches, why open up yet another avenue to personal information for hackers to exploit?  Just doesn't seem worth the risk.  I am hopeful that Onshape will remove this permission requirement or that I find another way to inhibit the access.  But for now I don't plan on downloading Onshape to my tablet.

Tom 
    edited August 2015
    I was really looking forward to the Android version of Onshape so when I heard that it had been released I rushed right over to the Play Store to download it.  Unfortunately it all came to a screeching halt when I saw that Onshape requires full access to my contacts...that's a no-go.  Not that my contacts are all that interesting or anything but there is just no need for most apps to be in there.  The news is full of stories about security breaches, why open up yet another avenue to personal information for hackers to exploit?  Just doesn't seem worth the risk.  I am hopeful that Onshape will remove this permission requirement or that I find another way to inhibit the access.  But for now I don't plan on downloading Onshape to my tablet.

Tom 
    Hey Tom! We get access to your contacts so we can autocomplete email addresses when you share a document. (Otherwise everyone would have to remember email addresses and type the whole thing out by hand). We don't store them in our app in any way, we just temporarily access them when you share a document.

In the near future, we'll ask for access to your contacts only when you share a document, and you'll be able to deny it if you want.

These permissions changes will come when the next version of android comes out (Android M). For those who are interested in this stuff, you can learn more about how android is going to let users have more granular control over permissions in the future: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f17qe9vZ8RM
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    @cypress_frankenfeld_1

Thanks for explaining, I was concerned that the NSA was an Onshape partner.