Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sheet Metal Jog

matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
Has anyone got tips, tricks, tools, or perhaps a feature script to create a jog in sheet metal?  I'd love to see an example or two of how folks have attacked this in the past.

Comments

• Options
    Cary_BettenhausenCary_Bettenhausen Member Posts: 38 PRO
    Bump... I am also interested in this functionality.
  • Options
    Andrew_MichellAndrew_Michell Member Posts: 6 PRO
    mee too
  • Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭
    @matthew_stacy Here is a couple samples that I just made for a similar question using a sm extrude with adjustment to get the height corrected.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/fd8d60e9de614fef424c4257/w/f74808f6a3a75c2ab5c832d6/e/ca3ea29c67e222cf9d89f47a
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @glen_dewsbury, thanks for the response.  Extruding the jog profile to create sheet metal looks like a viable approach, particularly for cases where the jog extends across the full width of the part.

Any ideas for more general cases, for jogging one, or more, tabs of lesser width?

I would like to see a parametric "jog feature", with fundamental parameters perhaps including offset and angle.  In this example I've created a folder for two unique jogs, each comprised of a pair of flange features.  The length of the first flange is derived from the specified offset value divided by the sign of the angle (add an optional correction of one thickness, depending on the direction of the initial sheet metal feature.

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭
    @matthew_stacy
    I'm working on something a little more generic using configurations but it's not going very quick at this time. This would be a good candidate for feature script in the future.
    A jog feature in OS  basic sheet metal tools would be real nice.
    Working on making this one look nice as well. I used it a lot in lighting industry for installing covers. Only one side of cover needs a screw (sometimes no screw). Single hit punch and form.