Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Document and design sharing.

peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
Although I have not yet shared private OS designs with anyone else, this feature is very attractive to me going forward. The ability to work easily with customers, suppliers and other designers regardless of location. In the initial stages of a new project to decide on scope of project and project management of a project once an order is in place.
How useful are others finding this? Or is it too early yet as it is still in the beta stage?

Comments

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I'm using collaboration feature on daily basis and follow-me mode every now and then. It is awesome, I never imagined that multiple people working on same model could be so easy.

Only thing where it cuts short is that follow-me mode doesn't cover sketch edit.

And we definitely need simple chat & voice. 
    //rami
  • daryntaylordaryntaylor OS Professional Posts: 31 ✭✭
    For me, working this way has already begun, although OnS is not quite at the level of other CAD software for production purposes yet, (but its getting there :smile: ). With OnS you can interact and share a 3D model better than anything else I've experienced to date and with time, this will become the same with drawings, (although sharing drawings can be achieved now by using PDF, but these are uneditable). I honestly believe that when businesses, companies, organisations and more importantly the management the run them (not just the Engineers) become fully aware of this capability and way of working, then I think OnS will have a very good chance of fulfilling its predictions of becoming "The future of CAD". In any event, whatever happens, its definitely going to be an interesting ride.  
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3dcad said:
    I'm using collaboration feature on daily basis and follow-me mode every now and then. It is awesome, I never imagined that multiple people working on same model could be so easy.

Only thing where it cuts short is that follow-me mode doesn't cover sketch edit.

It doesn't?

I've been restraining myself from further experimentation since I burnt my fingers using it with a real client .... possibly because Onshape is fussy about browser capability, the first time I tried it with an ordinary mortal at the other end of the phone line, it was a frustrating failure.
    It's hard to troubleshoot when you can't see their screen, and if they don't have the rare knack of explaining what they're doing and seeing, you can't help them.  
    It's preferable for your client to decide that you're useless rather than realising that you think they're useless, but it's a close call!
    After quick test: Follow-me mode doesn't cover sketch edit. It just shows that 'driver' wen't to edit sketch but 'passenger' only sees shaded view without sketch or dimensions etc.
    //rami
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    this is interesting. I use Glance regularly to screenshare....1 click, session key over phone and boom...your collaborator sees your screen and you can assign remote control. Saves me £000s annually in travel and meeting costs, not to mention resolving issues immediately. It just works well, in any app, on any platform...including sketches. I can also share with multiple people in multiple locations...typically, toolmaker, manufacturer, customer. As an early adoptor I pay $19 a month for this. Currently it is around $50 a month (which is the industry norm for this type of thing).

so the question is then what are the benefits Onshape offers me for this type of one to one or one to many live collaboration?
    Is Glance installed software on your computer? I use teamviewer but I like the idea having this inside Onshape since other screen share shows all my open stuff and there might be something I don't want to share.. 

Ons just needs little improvement on this..

Btw does it inform driver that there is someone following? It's not enough to look busy when your boss walks in since he can follow you all the time..
    //rami