Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Gear function rotational alignment

bikr7549bikr7549 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
Hello,
I have 2 identical 'gears', 8 teeth each that I want to mesh together. When I install them using revolute mates and then apply the gear restraint the teeth align so that the teeth are lined up with each other, rather than one tooth and one space. The revolute mate has the option to rotate the part around X and Y axes, but my CL is on the Z axis. Not sure if the issue is with the revolute mate or with the gear mate. The same part file is used for both gears, 1:1 ratio.

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Expand the mate in the instance list and you will see two mate connectors. Edit one of those to add an angle to it. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • bikr7549bikr7549 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Perfect! thank you very much!
    Bob
  • matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 475 PRO
    It appears that the mate must then be "Reset" (RMB) after editing the mate-connector to actually execute the correction.