Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Ansys bought OnScale

fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 137 PRO
Have you seen these news?

Just recently the Professional & Enterprise subscribers gained a nice benefit; additional 500 core hours: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/16618/onscale-and-onshape-500-core-hours

Does someone from Onshape (maybe @Aaron_Magnin?) know what effect this will have on your partnership with OnScale? Will the benefit stay or go away? (And might PTC buy Simscale instead?)

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Aaron_MagninAaron_Magnin Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 114
    No idea how I didn't see this...need to check my notification settings. Anyway, I am just finishing up a "What's New" where I talk about this, but all our indications point to this being a GREAT thing. Ansys is one of the biggest CAE providers, and will bring serious depth, $$, and capabilities to OnScale. Short answer...its a good thing! 
  • Options
    Thanks for that insight! I hope it’s a good thing, unlike e.g. the acquisition of SpaceClaim, which lead to its removal as a standalone version. Keeping my fingers 🤞 
  • Options
    Aaron_MagninAaron_Magnin Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 114
    Time will tell, but we're very optimistic about this.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I just started using Onscale a bit more recently, I think it may suit my purposes for simulations. I have been using SimScale and have paid for it in the past but it's just hard to justify for the small amount I do. Onscale seems to offer quite a few free to Onshape users which is giving me good taste and I'd seriously consider paying for this but only on a monthly basis as I might go 6 months without using sim.  I have also been wondering what Onshape might do regarding native simulation and thought this maybe be an option for them but with Ansys buying it probably not now. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    I also like the model of having CoreHours that renew periodically (Onscale) more, than having a limit of 10 projects which are free, and then moving to a paying tier (Simscale).