Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

SendCutSend public document with bend radii variables?

nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
edited October 2022 in General
Hello, does anyone know of a public document with bend radii and K factor variables from SendCutSend (or other quick turn sheetmetal vendors). I was thinking to make one as I use this company all the time.

Edit: here is the public document with all the 5052 data.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4c4ac3d4cf250e39c62aafb5/w/3d5a723b35d21664c77164b9/e/4fa30f74318374fc6039a29a

Comments

• nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    edited September 2022
    I made one for 5052 from .040" to .250" thick. I'll make it public soon. I'm double checking a bend radius with the company first.

Is there some automated way even better than this to get the manufacturer parameters into the model? .

edited October 2022
    I made the document public. Feel free to link. It has all the data for the range of 5052 thicknesses offered by sendcutsend. (I have zero affiliation with this company)

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4c4ac3d4cf250e39c62aafb5/w/3d5a723b35d21664c77164b9/e/4fa30f74318374fc6039a29a
  • Lucas_KuhnsLucas_Kuhns Member, csevp Posts: 88 PRO
    My take on this is that the industry is doing it wrong. The whole process of exporting DXFs (flat patterns) and then programming the bending from that is not ideal (because of this very issue of bend radius). What we do here at Norden Mfg is export the STEP file, and program the bending from the 3D file using Bystronic's software. This will automatically compensate the bend deduction based on the selected dies. We can export a DXF from that software if we need to but then that DXF is very well compensated to the manufacturing process.

OSH Cut will accept 3D files and adjust radius/deduction according too. Anyway, that's my little rant.

TLDR: we should use 3D files, not 2D files.
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bysoft is powerful CAM software.
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

My take on this is that the industry is doing it wrong. The whole process of exporting DXFs (flat patterns) and then programming the bending from that is not ideal (because of this very issue of bend radius). What we do here at Norden Mfg is export the STEP file, and program the bending from the 3D file using Bystronic's software. This will automatically compensate the bend deduction based on the selected dies. We can export a DXF from that software if we need to but then that DXF is very well compensated to the manufacturing process.

OSH Cut will accept 3D files and adjust radius/deduction according too. Anyway, that's my little rant.

TLDR: we should use 3D files, not 2D files.

Yeah, for my mass production vendors none of them want the flat file, and only the step. Sendcutsend though is awesome for instant pricing and parts in a few days for prototype work, if its within their capabilities. They are also dirt cheap.
  • Lucas_KuhnsLucas_Kuhns Member, csevp Posts: 88 PRO
    That's good to know their pricing is reasonable. I have always found OSH Cut to be kind of expensive. Super nice quoting software though! I like how it shows feedback on the manufacturability of the part.