Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

STL not watertight

greet_van_geelgreet_van_geel Member Posts: 3
I exported my design as a STL,. but my slicer says that my model in not watertight.
How can I solve this in Onshape?

Comments

• Options
    Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    Can you share the document with us? I think 3d printed parts are usually not waterproof / watertight.
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    You could look at the stl export settings and try a few, or I'd recommend trying to repair it in Mesh Mixer instead of trying with Onshape.

@Axel_Kollmenter in this case "watertight" is not actually about holding water. It's just a term that means the stl mesh is actually fully enclosed with no holes, which is needed for printing.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    I don't have any "broken" STLs handy to check this, but do the open edges of an STL show up in red if "Highlight boundary edges" is on in the View menu?

If not, this seems like a really good improvement request.
  • Options
    Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    @Evan_Reese Yeah ok but isnt the mesh computergenerated? I also got an 3d printer and never got this type of error message. Even if I exported the file out of onshape.
    What can be the sources of error for such a hole in the mesh?

Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    Yep and this kind of error is rare in my experience. I've never gotten one from Onshape either that I recall, but it can certainly happen. Sometimes if there's geometry that's borderline failing in Onshape, it can cause issues.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @greet_van_geel, if you make your Onshape document PUBLIC then others might be able to replicate, and perhaps even resolve, your slicing problem.