Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Parts Library

scottyvoidscottyvoid Member Posts: 8
I am currently looking to move my business over to onshape but while playing with cant seem to find a parts library which can store the common parts that we use over and over again. is this something that i am missing or is this functionality not yet developed. 

we use a lot of scaffold components and the like, and having to draw the part every time or import a part every time would not be a option at this point 

Comments

• Options
    shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    scottyvoid I agree with you, there is no  parts library in onshape ,when we are creating an assembly by other sofeware , we do not need to model any standard parts like bolt,nut and there is a part standard library in them. But I believe there will be an improvement about this point by onshape!
  • Options
    scottyvoidscottyvoid Member Posts: 8
    i hope so, once this feature comes into play, it will help me make the jump into using onshape fulltime
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @scottyvoid ,  I am looking for a way to move parts/assemblies into folder/filter area to be used across company doc's. I think this what you need to intergrate into your bussines
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Cross-document linking is a big thing and might take a while before pushed in. This is something I'm waiting too.
    //rami
  • Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    Availability of parts library is a key requirement for design. At the the same time I would also like to see the family table feature in Onshape as in Creo which quickly creates family of parts with similar designs. e.g. create one bolt by building the features, and all series of bolts can be generated just by creating the instances in table.
  • Options
    @shashank_aarya Do you mean configurations?
    //rami
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @shashank_aarya  or perhaps you mean design tables (in Solidworks terminology)?
  • Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    @3dcad, @andrew_troup  Yes. In other words we call it as a family table in Creo. Suppose a screw with specification M10x1.5x20L is created. By using this screw we can create any number specifications just by copying number of rows in existing design table and changing the values as per specifications. So, there will be just one screw but we can open any number of specifications from its design table. Whenever the part with such configuration is called in assembly,it will ask which exact configuration is required to fit. e.g. if I call just screw it will give me options to chose from created specifications such as M10, M12, M20 etc. It is very quick method of creating part families.

• Options
    Configurations / design tables / family table is on the tube for Onshape, but as we know it not the smallest feature as it needs to work with everything.

I'm BIG fan of configs as most of my work is based on flat panels so I'm already dreaming of semi-automatic designs with lot's of parameters and configurations..
    //rami
  • Options
    jonathan_monettejonathan_monette Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    A McMaster-Carr &/or a Misumi direct integration would be wonderful. Then I would consider switching to Onshape for real usage
    (this and a better drawing module with thread and hole automatic quoting .