Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to split a drawing on lines and transform the resulting pieces

dave_mankoffdave_mankoff Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
I have a square. The square has several splines running vertically through it, dividing it into strips.

I want to "explode" these strips into independent shapes. 

I can do this by copying and pasting all the various lines, then tediously going through and reassigning constraints, but there are a lot of constraints and this feels very error prone.

Is there a way to directly select lines in a drawing and say "transform and make a copy" such that I only need to specify the distance and direction of the transform?

Put visually, how do I turn the first drawing into the second efficiently (and maintain being fully constrained)?

Comments

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,365 PRO
    Do you really need it to be a series of sketches? What do you want to do with the results of this?

It would be pretty easy to make a surface, and then split it with whatever curves you want, then transform the pieces.

Or you could extrude a bunch of faces independently from the same sketch, each making a new part, and then transform the parts as needed.