Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Simulation for all Professional licenses

GregBrownGregBrown Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 100
Exciting news today - we are opening up Onshape Simulation to all Onshape Professional customers. This is coming hot on the heels of the initial launch which happened just 3 weeks ago, but of course one of the many benefits of Onshape’s agile approach is that updates and improvements can be delivered really, really fast! The other benefit unique to Onshape is that you will not have to do anything, download anything or install anything in order to see the new simulation tools in the assembly environment.

For a recap of what Onshape Simulation is and how it works, please refer to the What’s New we posted (including a video) on the release day.

https://www.onshape.com/en/resource-center/what-is-new/simulation-publications-ar-view

More information can be found at:

https://www.onshape.com/en/features/simulation

Or you can watch the webinar to see a hands on demonstration here: https://www.onshape.com/en/resource-center/events/introducing-onshape-simulation-110222 

Please check the above links out before you get started, as they contain a lot of useful information about how Onshape Simulation's superpowers can be experienced.  We've learned over the years that simulation is extremely valuable in early design decision support, when fundamental structural design directions are being made, so jump in as soon as you can!

Finally, Onshape Simulation is not your conventional FEA tool - it does work differently and leverages modern and novel capabilities. Give it a try and find out for yourself, visit the forum for best practices/advice, and send us support tickets. We’re seeing great successes with it, and look forward to you experiencing the same.

Tagged:

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Thank you, just saw it popup.  I will put it straight to work.  
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 134 PRO
    Awesome 🤩 
  • STEGSTEG Member, User Group Leader Posts: 74 PRO
    When "coming soon" is just 3 weeks!  :)
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Alright, I have the perfect little project. It's a differential analysis looking to make improvements to a design (actually trying to make the best design possible). In the end, I'll have parts made and will be able to validate the design process. This is exciting! 

• Alexandre_WamainAlexandre_Wamain Member, csevp Posts: 16 PRO
    Any possibility thermal simulations are coming soon??
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Any possibility thermal simulations are coming soon??
    Not anytime soon.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 134 PRO
    One things is a bit confusing- the simulation units.
    I know that it wasn't possible to beforehand read what kind of units a user has.

Would it be possible to set "Simulation units" for all documents? E.g. like this:

• M_HutchisonM_Hutchison Member Posts: 26 PRO
    SIGH!  Thought I was in luck until I realized I have the Standard license ($), not Professional ($$).  Nonetheless, I found a slight bug... If I create a new Named Position, and then click Done, the Load Icons appear in the toolbar.  I pick one and I get a dialog box, but it won't let me select an Instance.  Hence its a non functional tease.  FYI
  • Martin_KrijgerMartin_Krijger Member Posts: 1 PRO
    I have to wait hours for the result of a simple simulation. Anyone else has this issue

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    We've been experimenting with Simulation, and learning some things the hard way. The part under test here is a chassis for an electric scooter (displacement is 3X). Below are some thoughts and feedback.

1. There doesn't seem to be a way to tie a configuration of an assembly to a simulation ("configuration"?) which is defined in the table on the right. It would be really nice to do this since right now we end up with two drop downs which need to be in sync in order for our simulations to make sense. We have three generations of chassis that we're simulating, and the fixturing is the same for each, but the load needs to be different since they're different parts.
    2. While it is actually documented in the help, it took a while to figure out that pin and slot mates don't work for simulation (nor do gear, rack and pinion, etc). 
    3. Similarly, it's disappointing that we can't use a sketch to constrain the part under test. Instead we needed to build some dummy parts to constrain our chassis so we can isolate the chassis while loading it the way that ISO 17128 requires. The front axle is fixed, the fork can pivot around that axle, and the rear axle (and dummy axle block) can slide relative to the front axle position.
    4. We were hoping that the fixture parts could be left out of the FEA, but we have three simplified parts (front fork, rear axle, rear axle block) which all need to be part of the FEA to move correctly.
    5. The displacement numbers are useful, but it would be really nice to be able to measure from any point to any other point and get the deformed dimension.
    6. It took a lot of trial and error to get the mates correct. There was one time when Simulation seemed to ignore the front axle mates, and the whole chassis deformed in a bizarre downward angle through the base of the test fixture.
    7. Like @eric_pesty, we experience many times when Onshape seems to lose the results and needs to regenerate them.
    8. When I try to show connections on my M1 Mac, Onshape loses the connection to WebGL and it fails. My co-worker can see the connections.
    9. Why can't we simulate elastomers like silicone rubber? Even in a very simple compressive situation, it would be interesting to us.
    10. The text boxes for the displacement multiplier and the scale limits seem really flaky. Half the time I type a number in and hit enter, and nothing happens.
    11. The slider for adjusting the scale for the colors is often hard to get to move without the whole color scale legend moving.
    12. Other FEA packages sometimes have a separate color for values above the upper limit, making it clear the range of acceptable values and then really clearly showing where it's over. There's no way to make this as clear here.
    13. MPa is one choice for pressures in simulation, but the values in the materials library (tensile yield, etc.) are in Pascals. It would be nice to be more consistent. I'd prefer that the library values were also in the same units as the simulation, and I echo the desire for simulation defaults units.

• BenTaylorBenTaylor Member Posts: 43 PRO
    S1mon said:

When I try to show connections on my M1 Mac, Onshape loses the connection to WebGL and it fails. My co-worker can see the connections.

I've had the same issue on an M1 in Chrome and Firefox, but it works in Safari. A similar issue arises with comparing versions, and when I contacted support they confirmed it's a bug related to M1. 
    Ben Taylor
    Lead Mechanical Engineer @ Healing Innovations
    Onshape Ambassador
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited December 2022
    I have a really old M1 and I can't show connections either. I then have to force quit chrome.

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    I did get connections to show in Firefox on my M1 Max MacBook Pro, but it's still clearly doing something insane with the load on the GPU, as the frame rate goes to single digits, and it's barely responsive. Support is aware of this.
    Good to know, thanks for the tip.