Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

In-Context not working

nenad_bojceticnenad_bojcetic Member Posts: 7 EDU
Hello all,
I have a short question, does anybody have idea why In-context design is not working in this example?
The in-context message above the model is in wrong color and in-context name is not showing above Default geometry.
I created a new assembly and I do have enough disk space.

Best regards!

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    edited November 2022
    You need to reference something first, then the context will be created.

EDIT: it will always take you to the Part Studio - that's how it works.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • nenad_bojceticnenad_bojcetic Member Posts: 7 EDU
    First of all, thank you for the comment.
    By "reference something" you mean to select a component or something else, I did follow the instructions from the
    OnShape In-Context Tutorial the only thing they did is to select the part.

And, I selected a part "Jaw" in the assembly and then I selected an "Edit in context" command.
    But the context is not created and I do not know why.

Best regards,
    Nenad

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    All the parts are in one part studio so you don't need to edit in-context. Which tutorial is it?

If you edit one of the parts and make a reference to one of the ghosted parts (the in-context geometry) then a context will be created, but it makes zero sense in this scenario.

This one explains all https://learn.onshape.com/courses/managed-in-context-design
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    edited November 2022
    That was the one I was viewing. What I wanted is to push the Jaw to one side (left) and edit the Vise Base (in context left) then
    move Jaw to the other side and edit Vise Base (in context right) I thought that this is similar to the example in managed-in-context-design example
    where Carriage is on the one side and the left switch is edited so that its pushed to the other side and the right switch is edited.

As I can conclude that the components in the assembly have to be from different PartStudios so the In-context can work properly (I missed this in the video) otherwise we have the same functionality as in other CAD systems doing in-context editing. Is this correct?
    Dear Neil,
    now I am confused. From your email, I was under impression that in-context works if you have a couple of PartStudio models in assembly. And I tried that, I created 4 PartStudio documents and then assembled them by inserting those PartStudio models in the assembly. Now, in the assembly, I select
    "Edit in-context" from the menu, on one of the components but I did not get a new context. Can you tell me what am I doing wrong, I clearly misunderstood how the in-context works.

>> PartStudio document and the assembly

>> Osnova PartStudo PedalBoxBase was selected and also "Edit in context"

No new context is created!

>> changes were made in Osnova PartStudio then I get back to the assembly and there is
    on "update in context" just again "Edit in context" for the same PartStudo Osnova.

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    @nenad_bojcetic
    If you can see the geometry the context is there. The entry doesn't get created in the list until you actually reference context geometry. As soon as you use something from the context it will create it.
    Ok, now I get it. Thank you very much.

Best regards,
    Nenad