Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

how to mark up sketch/drawing

jeff_mcafferjeff_mcaffer Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
I have a building floor plan as a sketch and would like to mark it up with, for example, locations of switches, sockets, devices, fans, ... and their circuit number.

Seems like I can do this either on the sketch or the associated drawing. On sketches the only element that looks promising is a "text" and that does not allow for colors or shape borders (to distinguish different categories).

Callouts look promising on drawings. I could use a different shape for each category of thing and then the callout text as the circuit number. Great. Callouts however feel somewhat cumbersome to use and don't seem to allow copy/paste (common to have up to 10 of the same markup in one room) or allow for colors. Notes also seem like they could work if I use colored text and repurpose some of the symbols in conjunction with the circuit number. Unfortunately, in both cases these elements appear unrelated to the underlying sketch in the drawing -- if the sketch changes, the callouts/notes don't move.

In one way I'm abusing onshape for this 2D scenario but in practice this is one part of the project. Elsewhere I'm generating a 3D model from the floorplan sketch. So I'd like markup that is part of the sketch (so it stays accurate) but is not a "part" etc (so it does not mess with the 3D model).

Is there a different way to look at this? or am I just barking up the wrong tree?

Answers