Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sheet metal export

ian_elvarian_elvar Member Posts: 2
Hi

I've got a couple of questions about sheet metal exports I couldn't find answers to:

Is there a way to export all sheet metal flat patterns in a part studio, assembly or document? I have a document with a complex sheet metal structure which is slow and frustrating to export by finding the flat patterns and right clicking on individual parts to export when issuing a new version. 

Also, is there a way to modify how files are named on export? As it is, the name of the part is OK, but a part number too would be even more helpful.

Many thanks!

Ian

Comments

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @ian_elvar - These are great points.

Re the export of multiple files simultaneously, we already do this for STL (from an assembly) and have an enhancement on the books for doing it for any file format. The workflow would be to drop each of the sheet metal parts (flattened) into an assembly one time, and then export as separate files in one go upon release. To have your Pro-Vote added to the list of requesters, please submit a feedback ticket.
    As for naming the parts on export, you only need to rename the part to be the part number one time and they will be called that in all operations moving forward.

I hope this helps - Philip.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • ian_elvarian_elvar Member Posts: 2
    Hi Philip 

Thanks for the swift reply, I'll get a feedback ticket raised.
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @kent_henderson
    Not exactly what you are asking, but there is a batch option in sheet metal dxf export - notice the last check box here
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @pmd Thank you for clarifying.
  • kent_hendersonkent_henderson Member Posts: 69 PRO
    Very nice. I'm not sure how I missed that. 
  • castor1967castor1967 Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if this feature to export all the flat DXFs at once ever got added?
  • PhilWPhilW Member Posts: 3 PRO
    Bumping this thread. Exporting all flat DXFs in a part studio would be extremely useful. 
  • arjan_bokarjan_bok Member Posts: 13 PRO
    An export of al sheets in dxf would indeed be very useful.
    And also a way to automatically add the sheet thickness to the name of the file.
  • robert_stilesrobert_stiles Member Posts: 89 PRO
    Hello, any update on this? We found the "down load all flat patterns as a zip" function, but the naming is a pain. Can the name of the flattened pattern not simply be a derivative of the sheet metal part name it comes from please? Thanks
  • adam_janneyadam_janney Member Posts: 2
    Any updates yet on this feature? Sheet metal in Onshape is a phenomenal tool but Exporting can be time-consuming. My only other add would be a possible checkbox for layer data for sheet metal thickness on export!
  • arjan_bokarjan_bok Member Posts: 13 PRO
    Any news on this feature? I realy need automatic thickness in names to ease up ordering process of sheet parts
  • caden_armstrongcaden_armstrong Member, User Group Leader Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    CADSharp has created a tool that allows for exporting all sheet metal flat patterns from an assembly.
    It can also gathering drawings, and 3d files.
    You can check it out in the Onshape app store, and try out the free 30 day trial.
  • chris_pettit573chris_pettit573 Member Posts: 7 PRO
    Can now be done, amazing!
    IMPROVEMENTS TO ONSHAPE - SEPTEMBER 22nd, 2023 — Onshape

Would be great to have more control over the output file name.
    My fabricator often wants a file name in this foremat:
    "Project ID" "Part ID" "Material Thickness" "Material Grade" "Material Finish" "Quantity"
    Eg: Job 9920 -  Part 120.1000.01 - 2mm SS304 N#4 - QTY 7