Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sheet Metal Model button is not available

fletcher_porterfletcher_porter Member Posts: 14
The Sheet Metal Model button is not present in my Part Studio interface.  Is this some sort of error or is sheet metal simply not available for student license holders?

If it's some issue related to the level of license I hold, there should be a note in the documentation for the sheet metal features that you need a particular license.
Tagged:

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    It is either hidden (try typing sheet metal in the search box, top right) or it’s a very old doc. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • fletcher_porterfletcher_porter Member Posts: 14
    I tried in a document I just made, but sheet metal is still not available
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    edited December 2022
    It's possible to customize the toolbar and hide the sheet metal tools, but the search should still work. Hmmmm.

What browser are you using?

Maybe check compatibility here:
    https://cad.onshape.com/check
    I'm using Firefox 107.0.1 on Windows 11 Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621
    The compatibility check came out with "Your browser is compatible with Onshape" and a warning that my machine has integrated graphics, which I hope shouldn't make the sheet metal tools go away.

In your pic, what happens if you select flange?
    If I select flange, it populates the search bar with the string "Flange" and that leads to the search result "No items match your search"
    That is very weird - I just made a copy of your doc and the sheet metal tools are there. Perhaps you can try the same?

The only other thing I can think of, which shouldn't really affect it, is if you have any adblockers or other add-ins?
    Disabling adblockers doesn't appear to change anything.  I've tried with a copy of the above document, and I still don't have the sheet metal tools.  Neither does a brand new document get them.
    Is it possible that it's some issue with the permissions of my account?  Maybe since my accounts fairly old (from 2015 I think), some update in tool availability didn't occur correctly.
    No restrictions - have you tried a different browser? Is the OS/graphics/browser up to date?
    Same results on Chromium 108.0.5359.124 and Firefox 108.0.1.  I've tested on up-to-date Windows 11 and up-to-date Ubuntu 22.04 to the same results.
    On the Windows machine, I have the Intel UHD Graphics driver v30.0.101.1298 and on the Ubuntu machine, I have the AMD VEGAM driver v22.0.5.
    It appears that the OnShape client I have is v1.157.9191.43c781405890.  Is it possible I have an old version cached somehow?

After clearing the cache on Firefox, I still have the v1.157.9191.43c781405890 OnShape client and the problem still persists, so I guess that's not it.
    Ok I was able to figure it out and I now have sheet metal tools.  I had to go into my account settings and reset my toolbars to default, which made a few new things pop up in my toolbar like some weldments-related stuff and, critically, sheet metal tools.
    I worked this out by perusing the response from the `https://cad.onshape.com/api/toolbar/toolbars?name=all-user-removed-tools` endpoint and seeing that the various sheet metal tools were there.  Of course, I never disabled those tools since I never saw them to begin with.  I guess there was some issue with how these tools were deployed messing with user settings in some cases.
    Unusual - glad you sorted it out - reported to devs.
  • turan_aydinturan_aydin Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    I have same problem with Windows10/Chrome.