Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Linear Pattern - TEXT

lauren_bairdlauren_baird Member Posts: 5 EDU
Hello! I am trying to make a lot of keychains for a school project. I would like to use the linear pattern tool to lay everything out so maximize my material and so I can laser cut many a time. My keychain contains text and a design in the middle, and a circle around the design and a circle at the top for the key ring to go through. When I use the linear pattern tool, it only creates a pattern for the circles and it completely ignores the text, even though it is orange. Pleeeeease help! 

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Is this a sketch pattern? You should really be making 1 solid part and then use assemblies for creating patterns. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • zac_petersenzac_petersen Member Posts: 2
    NeilCooke said:
    Is this a sketch pattern? You should really be making 1 solid part and then use assemblies for creating patterns. 
    you didnt answer the question... can you use the linear pattern tool on text? as lauren said it completely ignores text. 
    edited May 2022
    NeilCooke said:
    you didnt answer the question... can you use the linear pattern tool on text? as lauren said it completely ignores text. 
    Actually, I did. Use a feature or assembly pattern.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Neil is right. Model just one keychain in your part studio, make your layout in an assembly or pattern it in the part studio, then use a 2D drawing to produce your vector file for cutting.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • jason_tonneslanjason_tonneslan Member Posts: 2
    Doing things the way that Neil explains makes since, but let me state my situation. I have a keychain outline that will be cut out and has text in it that will be engraved, two different power levels. My go to method has been to do cut lines in one sketch and engrave or raster in another sketch, this makes it easy for me to import the cut lines and raster elements seperate to allow me to easily change power levels for cut and engrave. This method works great for one or two keychains but I need to do a few hundred of these. Following Neils method I would have to select every shape to be engraved individually and change the power level on the laser. MUCH MORE TIME CONSUMING than just importing two seperate files and laying one on top of the other.