Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to laser cut this 3D CAD file?

zenchi_sunzenchi_sun Member Posts: 2 EDU
I have been having trouble converting this CAD file to 2D in order to laser-cut it. Should I convert it to a PDF? And how should I do that?

Comments

• dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    Go to the part studio, right click on the face of the part and export DXF.

• John_vd_WerffJohn_vd_Werff Member Posts: 65 PRO
    edited January 2023
    Go to the part studio, right click on the face of the part and export DXF.
    Export to DXF is the way to do it if you need a 2D file.
    Most companies that do laser cutting also accept STEP files.
    Right mouse click on the part in the parts list in part studio and select export, then select STEP as format.
    STEP is a 3D format, the manufacturer will not only get the contour to cut, but also the material thickness.

• charles_taubercharles_tauber Member Posts: 6
    If you are cutting this yourself, what software are you using to drive your laser? Start by looking at what format files that software accepts as imports. Many laser softwares accepts DXF and SVG format files, both of which are 2D formats.

One way to export those formats from Onshape is to make a quick, simple drawing of your part. You don't need borders, formats or other typical elements of a drawing. Export the drawing sheet containing the 2D geometry you want to laser cut from Onshape as DXF or SVG. Once imported into the laser software, you can modify the geometry, assign layers, if required, and set power and speed for cutting.

If you are sending this as a job to a third party, exporting the 3D model as STEP is another option.