Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Cadmio, Low Cost Render Studio Alternative?

S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,366 PRO
edited January 2023 in General
I just stumbled across this iPad app which does a surprisingly good job at real time rendering. It's called Cadmio. It's far from perfect, but the ease of use and immediacy is impressive. The quality is more like a decent video game rather than a high-end photo realistic rendering, but it is 100% realtime.

It imports STEP files a lot quicker than Render Studio imports a scene, and gets decent results much faster. The results can be shared as a live, rotatable model (with optional saved views) to non-paying users (who also must be on an iPad). There's also a basic turntable animation tool. 

I was able to figure out the interface, apply materials, modify existing materials, add/remove objects from material groups all with ease. The short list (~25) of HDRI scenes are very well chosen and useful. They will get old quickly, but at least it's not a thousand sad gray days in some field in the middle of nowhere. The materials are pretty good for product/transportation design and interior design, but lacking in some basic things like transparent plastics. There are no where near the number of parameters to tweak - this is a good and a bad thing. Some Render Studio materials have what seems like about 100 different parameters, half of which don't seem to do anything.

It's also much easier to find a material in Cadmio. The organization is a very simple catalog of "Plastic, Metal, Paint, Fabric, Leather, Wood, Mineral, and Utility". Each category has from a few to a few dozen choices. Contrast this with Render Studio which has about 17 zillion materials which aren't very organized. I'd like something in the middle.

On the downsides: one part came in with a couple missing triangles, the materials seem to spontaneously change in buggy ways, it's hard to set an imported object exactly on the ground plane, when you re-open a "presentation" it takes almost as long as it does to import which suggests that it's re-running the tessellation from scratch, there doesn't seem to be a way to import decals, and I haven't found a way to set the material for an individual surface.

Oh, and the most obvious downside compared with Render Studio - no easy updates from Onshape model changes.

Ultimately I want Render Studio to be successful. I'm looking forward to big improvements in responsiveness and ease of use. For people on a budget (e.g. not on an Enterprise plan) with an iPad, you might want to try Cadmio.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 207 EDU
    looks really nice.  if only it wasn't just iDevices!