Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Help for a High School Student

jordan_fox122jordan_fox122 Member Posts: 4
Hi, I am a High School Student who is competing in FIRST Robotics. My team is fairly inexperienced with CAD beyond the creation of simple parts to 3-D Print, etc. This season I took it upon myself to try and design the whole robot in a digital medium to allow for more testing before building in hopes to save material as we are not greatly funded. One issue that I am running into is knowing how to do certain functions in assemblies, (of which I am fairly new to) namely, giving dimensions to imported parts from part library's like AndyMark and VexRobotics. I want certain parts to have certain measurements as some of the imported parts are different to the footprint (measurements) we decided upon this season. Would I have to modify each individual part from their imported part file or is there something that I can do in the main part assembly that will modify the dimensions to what I am looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am not having to much luck surfing Youtube trying to find a solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Comments

• Domenico_DiMareDomenico_DiMare Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 85
    Hi @jordan_fox122

Have you seen the MKcad FIRST library app that is integrated into Onshape? It has a lot of the parts you are likely using and has a lot of different sizes for the majority of components, so you might not have to modify any. When you subscribe to it, it will show up in the right panel when you are in an assembly or part studio.

If you do have to modify parts you'll modify them in the part studio for the imported part. I suggest looking at the direct editing tools in Onshape. These will help you quickly edit the parts to the right dimensions. Here's a learning center course on using these tools. You can also use features like extrude etc.. to modify the parts but direct editing is often used on imported parts.
  • jordan_fox122jordan_fox122 Member Posts: 4
    Hi @jordan_fox122

Have you seen the MKcad FIRST library app that is integrated into Onshape? It has a lot of the parts you are likely using and has a lot of different sizes for the majority of components, so you might not have to modify any. When you subscribe to it, it will show up in the right panel when you are in an assembly or part studio.

If you do have to modify parts you'll modify them in the part studio for the imported part. I suggest looking at the direct editing tools in Onshape. These will help you quickly edit the parts to the right dimensions. Here's a learning center course on using these tools. You can also use features like extrude etc.. to modify the parts but direct editing is often used on imported parts.
    Hi Domenico,

Thank you for the help, as well as pointing me in the direction of that learning course. I have found the MKcad Library and used their parts for this year's robot. Oftentimes what I am modifying is the structural components like aluminum bars and other structural components that are different depending on a case by case basis. Most of the items in MKcad Parts Library is specific parts that are standard across the board like wheels, gears, motors, etc.

Again, thank you for pointing me in the right direction! I get that course completed soon!