Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Adding struts between non planar tubes

WaldPinklerWaldPinkler Member Posts: 25 EDU
Here's the model

I'm having a tough time trying to put support struts between these tubes that aren't aligned. How do I go about it?

I feel like I'm hacking things together with projected curves and bridging curves.

The sketch in the picture below shows where I'd like the struts.

Comments

• dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    This look's really good, a few thing's.
    I would model this in half and boolean the middle pipes later.
    And for the strange curved pipe's try placing a 3 point plane first in the position you want.

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    Probably a bit late for this but using the "frames" tools would have likely made this quite a bit simpler...
    For example you can create a straight member between any two points so you wouldn't have needed any of the bridging curves...

That said, I'm not sure which other tubes you are having trouble with...
  • WaldPinklerWaldPinkler Member Posts: 25 EDU
    I feel completely blind. I never even used the frame tool.

I was having trouble with the end section as in the sketch. There were small gaps in the horizontal bar to the main frame because of where I was trying to join it to. I couldn't get the inner struts to position correctly.
    edited January 2023
    I played with the frame tool. It's easy for sweeping the tubing. It will place tube between vertices but how can I get those for the smaller support struts in-between the rear section? The projected curve loses that information and it's hard to project the struts on awkward angles.

I created the lower rear part with the sketch from the first post and the one below. I aligned the end points with a horizontal constraint to the same in first sketch above.

Just do the same with the struts? The slight angles makes it hard to find which vertex I'm looking for. I could make more sketches but that feels awkward to make changes.

I tried a loft between the frames, a ruled surface for the braces then intersection curves. It's faster and looks ok. I don't know if the intersection curves are straight though, it depends on the loft.

I can't get the same with the rear section because it's hard to select and fill the awkward shape.

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    Can you put a sketch on your extruded surfaces (blue pictures above) and use a "pierce" relation with each of your curves?
    Sure, that works. It means a sketch for every brace but works.

Making a plane 45 degrees to the first sketch worked for the braces. I have to project each separately otherwise it fails. At least it gets me where I want.

I gave that a go. It is nice that fillets are added as one continuous curve in 3d. The interface is pretty clunky with it's 25mm default on fields.

3d sketch model

I still run in the same difficulties with the braces. The fillets make it worse. 

The alignment at braces is terrible. I could extend them past frame then project the curves and use the 3d sketch tool to shorten. It's a big hassle if any geometry changes!

• dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    I made a copy and added a copy of your Partstudio.
    Look for Arch studio copy and see what happens after insert of Plane 1
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/31f3460d8bcce0c90a33e9f5/w/f7f8882f01f129a35312d5b3/e/38e5537477a3939c5b8f5fda