Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Why is onshape deleting part of my extrusion?

ethan_nannenethan_nannen Member Posts: 9
I'm making a part that has a fillet removal from a 45° angle to a completely vertical line. The radius is 0.01". I did not use the fillet tool to make this, I drew it with lines and a circle then trimmed away the rest to get the rounded corner I want, however, when I went to extrude the edge is a complete 90° instead of being rounded. Why is it doing that? How do I fix it? My pictures attached below better describe the issue.

Best Answer

• Options
    tim_hesstim_hess Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you want everything to be a single part when you're done, try using the "add" option instead of "new" when doing the extrude. 

It would probably be better to use fillet tool. That will keep your sketch simpler and more robust to updates down the line.  

Answers

• Options
    tim_hesstim_hess Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you want everything to be a single part when you're done, try using the "add" option instead of "new" when doing the extrude. 

It would probably be better to use fillet tool. That will keep your sketch simpler and more robust to updates down the line.  
  • Options
    I tried using the add feature but when I hit the checkmark to extrude it just makes most of my drawing disappear. I also don't know what is meant by merge scope.

I've tried fillet before but it doesn't do anything at all. It's hard to describe so I'll leave another picture to show why I don't think fillet would have worked. Instead of just having a curve where the two lines met I wanted it to cut up into the part and be rounded.

This is what it looks like before my "fillet". I don't just want a curve where the 45° line and the vertical line meet. The second picture (the one with the blue) is almost what I want but doesn't have a rounded edge at the 90° corner, I would have put the corner there to begin with but the drawing I'm trying to recreate doesn't include the dimensions for that cut.

• Options
    I got it to work. I don't know how, I did the same exact thing as I did earlier (extrude with new) and this time it included the curve I want. I am beyond confused but it worked now, thank you for the help.