Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Freeform spline length

robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
I am attempting to piggyback 2 small populated PCBs having 7 connections between them using 28ga silicone insulated wire. I used Freeform Spline to create the paths for Wire feature script. The key to this working in a neat way is to know the wire length needed (plus a wee bit), since the soldered connections will be made while the boards are separated as much as possible and then set one upon the other when connections are completed. Is there a way to get the length of a Freeform Spline created curve? - Scotty

Comments

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    If you just select the curve, Onshape will tell you the length (in the lower right corner).

If you hit the measuring tape, and tap on the X, it will create a variable which is driven by the measurement, so as you change the curve, the variable will update

Improvements to Onshape - January 11th, 2023 — Onshape

You might also want to look into https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/18756/new-custom-feature-cable-wire-routing

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,490 PRO
    Or even more efficient: open up the custom table pane on the right!:

Bonus tip: it updates "live" as you edit the feature and if you use the "final" option while editing any of them you can see them all at once!

• robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    Thank You gentlemen, for your responses. I made the mistake of selecting the curve in the parts/curves panel to get the length which doesn't work. Thanks for the link too.
    Custom Table! That looks cool. Gonna have to get into that. (I recently discovered and used with nice efficacy Configurations in another document and got a wow out of that.

- Scotty
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    edited January 2023
    @robert_scott_jr_
    Both Freeform Spline and Wire are my features, and both of them have custom tables written for them, which will tell you the lengths. Since the tables are part of the feature code, you don't need to add them manually. If you've used the feature, you can just open the custom tables panel and they are there. I recommend using the one from the Wire feature since it doesn't limit you to a path made of a single curve (you can use a combination of curves and still get a single total length). It will also have color and gauge info there.

I also agree with Simon about checking out the wiring feature suite by @NeilCooke
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl