Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I contact the owner of a public document?

StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
I should be able to use Onshape's Forum messaging (mail) system but when I enter the document owner ID in the recipient(s) field it is not recognized as a valid/existing user. 

This gives me the impression that only "registered" forum members can be contacted. It has been years since I acquired an Onshape account ID and I cannot remember if I had to sign up separately to access the forums.

Is it possible to declare oneself as noncontactable?

Best Answer

• john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    Answer ✓
    Hi @StephenG. I was referring to contacting owners of public documents. You definitely can contact users here on the forum once they have logged in once. 
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.

Answers

There are privacy concerns with publishing the creator or owner of a public document. We don't provide any mechanism to do that.
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    In the case of popular custom Featurescripts, it would be great if there was an obvious way for creators to optionally include contact info. Of course they can write whatever they want in the intro PDF and they could put stuff in comments in the source code, but it would be great if there was a consistent way to include a contact.

For documents with parts, it would could be helpful as well to allow a similar option.
  • StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    @john_rousseau
    Your answer doesn't seem to be accurate because names of OS users appear in a popup to select from. I did a little experiment. I tried sending a message to an OS user that has never accessed the OS forum. User never was not notified of the email. Had that OS user go into the OS forums. Forum detected this was the user's first time accessing the forum and congratulated him. Now that OS users ID shows up in the recipient popup to select from.

It appears you cannot send a message to another OS user via the forum messaging tool unless the user has previously accessed the forum.
    Answer ✓
    Hi @StephenG. I was referring to contacting owners of public documents. You definitely can contact users here on the forum once they have logged in once.