Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Symbols

gary_19gary_19 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
Is there a way to add symbols such as the diameter symbol in text?  Like if I wanted to add a second line of text to a leader and wanted to start this second line off with the dimension symbol how would I do it.  It would be nice to have a symbol set to pick from for adding commonly used symbols when typing in text.

Comments

• _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    @gary_19

There are no symbols at this time but would be a good request.

I've been creating symbols by using the alt characters.

I mostly use alt +232 for the diameter symbol.
    I've noticed that you must have a character after this for it to work, so I just use the space bar.
    At least this is the case in the pre-dimension text box.

If you attempt to use the alt characters while creating notes you will find that some fonts will not accept these characters, the DejaVu fonts will.

See below for a link to more alt characters. Instructions for use are at the bottom of linked page.

http://www.tedmontgomery.com/tutorial/altchrc.html

• gary_19gary_19 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    da_vicki said:
    @gary_19

There are no symbols at this time but would be a good request.

I've been creating symbols by using the alt characters.

I mostly use alt +232 for the diameter symbol.
    I've noticed that you must have a character after this for it to work, so I just use the space bar.
    At least this is the case in the pre-dimension text box.

If you attempt to use the alt characters while creating notes you will find that some fonts will not accept these characters, the DejaVu fonts will.

See below for a link to more alt characters. Instructions for use are at the bottom of linked page.

http://www.tedmontgomery.com/tutorial/altchrc.html

What browser are you using?  I am using Chrome and I can't get this to work.
  • navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Having trouble with ALT/ ASCII / UNICODE symbols as well using chrome on a MAC and using DejaVu fonts as suggested by da_vicki , does not work.
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    This codes that are in the Help do work with any font, OS is there more codes like this you can share with us (e.g Depth) Thanks.  
    • %%d or U+00B0 = Degree symbol (o)
    • %%p or U+00B1 = Tolerance symbol (±)
    • %%c or U+2205 = Diameter symbol (Ø)
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
    Sorry Guys I didn't even think that tere may be issues in other browsers. I'm using firefox and these alt characters work great.
  • gary_19gary_19 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    da_vicki said:
    Sorry Guys I didn't even think that tere may be issues in other browsers. I'm using firefox and these alt characters work great.
    No problem. We will get something figured out. That's why we are here. 
    @nav Thanks for the tip in the help, guess I should read that sometime LOL

Thanks