Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Do any users prefer sketch imprinting be on?

nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
edited March 2023 in General
I find myself constantly turning off sketch imprinting. (even made a help request to turn it off by default). I know the option was only added a couple years ago to turn it off. Does anyone prefer to keep imprinting on? I find it just clutters the screen downstream. I don't think I've ever had a need for leaving it on. Maybe I'm missing a workflow for keeping it on regularly?

Comments

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    98% of the time, I want it off. There are some cases where it reduces the number of sketch entities and could make modeling easier.

Here's a really simple example with a rectangular block where I sketch three lines on the top face, which splits that face:

Then if I pick the left face and extrude I get this:

Without imprinting, I would be adding three additional lines. If the base extrusion is likely to change, there could be additional value to imprinting since it might update more easily.

I've also found that a complex sketch can be broken into several sketches. You can select a face from a sketch, and add lines which split that face, and get more detailed faces.

Now, to be honest, I hardly ever think of working this way, because it's so ingrained to do things the way that Creo or Solidworks does it, but I can see the value of imprinting occasionally.

• glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    I would prefer imprinting to be turned off then turned on when wanted as @S1mon describes. I don't use it much at all and find it in the way many times.
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,462 PRO
    When you turn it off, you lose the ability to automatically snap to entities of the sketch face so that's the biggest reason to leave it on. I only turn it off occasionally when when it creates regions I don't want.
    It does sound like this could be a "user preference" or maybe it if remembered the setting that's all it would take for everyone to be happy?
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    @eric_pesty
    "When you turn it off, you lose the ability to automatically snap to entities of the sketch face"

I'm not finding that to be true at all. With "disable imprinting" it highlights edges, midpoints, etc, of part faces and sketch faces just fine.
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,462 PRO
    @S1mon
    You are right, I thought that was kind of a key point of "disable imprinting" to help performance when putting a sketch on a complex face.

I just experimented a bit and it looks like it automatically keeps the ability to create relations for anything coplanar with the sketch plane regardless of how the sketch is defined. I just checked and when using a MC for a sketch plane, you can add relations to coplanar faces, if you use the same mate connector but with a Z offset, the automatic relations go away!

I personally generally like the "automatic" regions... 
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    edited March 2023
    I find myself defaulting to off, but I love it when I need it. If it remembered the last selection, that would accommodate everyone better, I think.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl