Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

OnShape Prompts to Refresh Browser When Attempting to Change Drawing View on Large Assembly File

AndrewOverbyAndrewOverby Member Posts: 7 PRO
I'm working with a large assembly that contains a lot of edges/faces. I have been having issues in my drawings when trying to insert and change drawing views. I simply can't get the new view to load without OnShape prompting to refresh the browser. I'm running OnShape through Chrome on a Mac Mini M2 Pro with a 500mbps average wired internet connection. I'm not sure what is driving this behavior, but I doubt it is performance-based? It is a shame because I thought I had a CAD powerhouse for working with these larger files. Didn't have any problems up to now. The drawing has about 9 pages with various views of this assembly. I unfortunately cannot share the file. Any help is appreciated! Are there some Chrome settings I could use? Maybe something is being throttled? 

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,362
    Please open a support ticket and share the doc with support. The support team will be able to find and fix the problem.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 663 PRO
    Is your 2D drawing in the same document as the part studio? Splitting the 2D and the 3D into different documents will increase the 2d performance. (because it uses a linked document). Its worth a try to see if it helps the issue.
  • Options
    AndrewOverbyAndrewOverby Member Posts: 7 PRO
    Is your 2D drawing in the same document as the part studio? Splitting the 2D and the 3D into different documents will increase the 2d performance. (because it uses a linked document). Its worth a try to see if it helps the issue.
    They are in the same document. That is a useful tip and I will give that a try! I will also set up a support ticket to see if there is anything irregular going on with my system. Thank you!
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 663 PRO
    One more thing, if you have hidden lines on that takes up more resources. When I started in OS in 2021, I was on a Dell engineering laptop from 2017 with a Quadro card. I was still new to OS, and had everything in one document. I had a complicated drawing, that would load, but slowly on the Dell. One day I turned on hidden lines in the 2D, and it froze. I could not open that drawing for the life of me. I had an M1 Mini at the time also at home. That computer had a stronger GPU and was able to open the drawing. I then turned off hidden lines from the M1, and after that the Dell could open it again. This was repeatable.

Since then though, I split the 2d from the 3d, and OS has made impromvents under the hood to increase drawing performance, and I haven't had any issues since. I long got rid of the Dell and only use M1 and M2 Macs now.
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 801 PRO
    I also experience hidden lines shown slowing down a drawing to a crawl.  Even a very simple assembly with maybe 10 parts will slow down frustratingly.  I usually keep the option turn off until I am right at the finish line.
  • Options
    DirtMerchantDirtMerchant Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    I am also having issues with the drawing screen just going blank/white white changing anything related to the document.