Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

3D object ready but I cannot find how to export it as DXF

jean_marie_almerasjean_marie_almeras Member Posts: 10
Dear OnShape experts,
I have an object which corresponds to what I am trying to make (hopefully) : basically a flat rosette shape with 3D circular extrusions of limited depth. 
If I observe the object in 3D it matches my expectations. The problem is that for OnShape it is made up of several parts, and I can only export as DXF each individual part, not the whole object, which is what I would like to do because then I can provide the file to a steel manufacturing company for a quote for machining it.
If you can help me out, I will be very grateful (I searched but could not find)
Here is a link to my object : https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a06310eeacbcc2c2e608e83c/w/2c0bb54fbf9ee7173348fd67/e/1065b0f6d609ec778eac2e25
Thank you in advance
Jean-Marie

Comments

• glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    @jean_marie_almeras
    If you are looking to export as a 3D object for machining then you will want a 3D format like step or STL ... depending on fabricator and machine.
    DXF format will be 2D for laser or other machine processes that only want a 2D path.
    If you just want the profile then sketches can be used for DXF export with out any 3D objects required.
    Right mouse select offers DXF of the face ( just that highlighted face) selected or that you are hovering over.
  • jean_marie_almerasjean_marie_almeras Member Posts: 10
    OK, thank you so much, I now understand my misunderstanding of the DXF format !