Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Use any line/curve/edge in extrude

Dean_GardnerDean_Gardner Member Posts: 88 PRO
So I have been spoilt in a previous package where i could use any line/edge from a solid, curve, or sketch to extrude from.  It didn't have to be plainar either.  Is this a possibility in Onshape? It seems that i can only create an extrude from a face or sketched line.
Tagged:

Answers

• leecaseyleecasey Member Posts: 34 PRO
    Hi Dean, to extrude you would need to sketch something. I'm not sure how you would extrude from an edge, how would you define a sketch without a plane to sketch on? Maybe I've misunderstood the question. 
  • Dean_GardnerDean_Gardner Member Posts: 88 PRO

@leecasey in NX i could pick the edge of one of those holes to create a round bar extrude.  Extrude doesn't let me select it, unless i sketch over the top of said hole.

I could even click around the perimeter of this pocket (below) and create a surface that would radiate out in a single direction.

• leecaseyleecasey Member Posts: 34 PRO
    Ah I understand now. I know you can re-use sketches, so if that hole was created from a sketch you can just unhide the sketch and extrude from that. 
  • GregBrownGregBrown Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 100
    There's a custom feature (though not created by us at Onshape) that does this: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/24819ddab7dc83c810eb8246/v/b409220bda82b907cd49f383/e/38727ba0d05188ebe79387a5

Just be aware that it was a fork from the standard Extrude feature code of a few years ago, and has not kept up with the latest and greatest (especially a few things from this year!). 
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    @GregBrown
    I would be interested in expanding the native one in this direction a bit more. It seems like it's moving that way now that a direction can be selected. I know opExtrude() isn't limited to planar inputs.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • wout_theelen541wout_theelen541 Member, csevp Posts: 198 PRO
    I needed something like this today and made an improvement request:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/21158/simple-geometry-imprinting-on-extrude/p1?new=1