Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Delays in recalculating storage information.

peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
I copy workspace to give myself a second copy to try things out , also this reduces the MB size on the copy (eventually!)
A recent document size 27MB  copy also size 27MB overnight this becomes 2MB.
So for a while I have 54MB of used space on my private plan, eventually if I am happy this will reduce to 2MB
It seems to me that Data size management is complicated and slow , this is an area that Onshape needs to improve given they are restricting private document total storage to 100MB.............this could definitely become an issue with me, so they need to either increase the 100MB limit or make these data management techniques easier to accomplish and faster to update on the MB sizing.

Comments

• Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Is there anything besides storage size that makes you more inclined to make a copy of the document rather than a branch in the current one?

When you say that you waited overnight and the calculated storage dropped 25MB, how long were you checking for?  In my experience, the storage recalculates in a couple of minutes.  It is something we are working on improving, but I'd like to get an understanding of what these delays are even if it is just an estimate.  
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    @jakeramsley
    Not really investigated branches, copying the document does allow me to scroll back and make changes with the knowledge if I mess up I can delete without affecting my original document. I don't know how long it takes to recalculate, although it seemed more than a couple of minutes. Hopefully if this puts me over the 100MB limit it wont be flagged. Glad you are working to improve it.
    Please explain how to make branches, I assume it is good if you want to try 2 or more designs moving forward from a point in the design you are happy with. If anyone has a video link to a video showing how to use Branches please post it, thanks.
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    For branches, I would start by watching this video https://www.onshape.com/videos/collaboration specifically around 2 minutes onwards.  
    Jake Ramsley

• Options
    juan_avilesjuan_aviles Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    I just made copies and deleted the originals and it took less than 5 minutes to see the changes.  I was refreshing the page though, so maybe that had something to do with it.  

Also, @peter_hall, keep an eye on your 'trash' if you delete anything since that also counts towards your 100mb limit.
  • Options
    @juan_aviles  Yep already knew to empty the trash regularly. Reasonably happy now making copies and deleting originals. Can see me branching from convenient base designs to try things out. One question on branching "can you roll  back an existing design and branch from a previous point on the design tree?
  • Options
    @juan_aviles  Yep already knew to empty the trash regularly. Reasonably happy now making copies and deleting originals. Can see me branching from convenient base designs to try things out. One question on branching "can you roll  back an existing design and branch from a previous point on the design tree?
    Branching happens off of versions.  You can restore a point in your workspace history, save a version and then branch off of that.  We don't have a way of rebasing what a branch is off of.
    Jake Ramsley