Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

NEW: Tag Hole feature

kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
edited February 2021 in Using Onshape
One of the nice benefits of the Onshape hole feature is that the holes it creates are automatically be marked with their size and position on a hole table in a Part Studio, or a drawing.

However, often times, you may be working with imported or partially imported geometry, where its holes were not created through the Onshape hole feature.

With the Tag Hole feature, you can select your standard (ANSI, ISO, custom, etc.), click the holes to tag. The feature will attempt to automatically guess the hole size and standard. This guess can be overridden in the dialog by editing the "Size" and "Fit" parameters, (but the feature will warn if the actual hole size is too far out of spec), and additional parameters (like thread size, tap depth) can be specified when the hole type requires them.

The tagged holes will act like all other Onshape holes, and will show up in the same hole table in the drawing. You can give them callouts and they will appear in the same hole table that all other holes appear:

You can find this new feature by clicking the link below. You can add it to your toolbar by clicking the "+ Custom features" button in that version.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/fffe38f79c9de9b18b1d04a7/w/bf2390d39d47b1fbf549ce52/e/3722524a2105679a20c5a928

This custom feature is still in a preliminary testing phase, so please let us know if you have any feedback!

Comments

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Kevin! great idea, and I've not tested it, but it seems like the implementation is also killer.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Can I use this for when its easier to model a hole with an extrude (or some other feature) and still want to be able to create a hole callout on the drawing in the end? 
  • kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    @tim_hess427 Yes, that should work.
  • jelte_steur814jelte_steur814 Member Posts: 75 PRO
    edited June 2021
    @kevin_o_toole_1

awesome work.

I would love to use this feature for holes that are not available through the hole feature built into onshape.
    e.g i want to indicate a GAS or BSP 1/4 tapped hole in the hole list on my drawing. could it appear automatically?

at the moment the 'custom' isn't free enough yet for that.
    I created the initial hole that is to be drilled before the tapping is done with the hole feature. i cannot currently tag the hole with the tag hole feature. 
    not sure if it's feasible, but it would make your new featurescript usable beyond the importing of imported geometry.

for now i'll just add a comment in the drawing sheet I guess

best

Jelte
  • michael_vanendemichael_vanende Member Posts: 14 PRO
    @kevin_o_toole_1

This is a great tool, but i encountered some problems with it recently. For example tagging countersunk holes and holes for PEMs. Any soloutions for this ?

• kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    @michael_vanende
    The feature only supports ANSI and ISO standards right now.
  • Isaac_W_BaerIsaac_W_Baer Member Posts: 9 PRO
    I am having trouble getting this feature to work in sheet metal flat patterns. is it possible to use this feature in this way?