Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Enabling non-associative linked bodies?

Dean_GardnerDean_Gardner Member Posts: 88 PRO
Is there a way to de-link a derived body reference in part studio?  I.e. freeze the derived body status in time and delink its association with the founding part.  Can this be done retrospectively?

Best Answer

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Switching to a version will break the update cycle (i.e. freeze), no need to further "disconnect" as that wouldn't get you any further performance gains.

Answers

You can change the reference of the derive to a specific version, it doesn't remove the link but it becomes "static".
    Maybe the "bigger" question would why you would need to do this, i.e. what is your end goal?
  • Dean_GardnerDean_Gardner Member Posts: 88 PRO
    Speed.  I have a very complex surface model that i need to reference in another model.  It's typical to break the link and freeze some I/F surfaces in order for the model to avoid hanging for long periods of time.  If I could show you, you would understand... But hopefully leaving the version in time should help reduce this.
    Answer ✓
    Switching to a version will break the update cycle (i.e. freeze), no need to further "disconnect" as that wouldn't get you any further performance gains.
    I found that creating composite 0mm offsets of the interfaces that i need, can be copied across too - rather than whole parts.  This works nicely.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited May 2023
    @Dean_Gardner Sometimes I want this also.

I want a guide to help me design something new that has no history or references. I just want it to be static and unencumbered with history. To do this, I take the surfaces from a previous model and export them via step or parasolids, bring'm back into a part studio then create a derived reference to this neutered surface geometry. It creates a lightweight guide for designing the next generation without worrying about updates. I never make any references to the neutered surface geometry and I can always delete it but I never do. 

@billy2 , that is what i do too, when i have a heavy surface model, although many people would think this is crazy.  I sometimes have surface model with 1000+ features, especially motorsport panels, casings, etc.
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
    If you derive a version as @eric_pesty mentioned, it will speed things up AND you can update it if needed.