Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Tracking Imports?

S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,322 PRO
Right now when external CAD is imported, Onshape has an import feature which points to the imported file in "CAD Imports". This has is a very basic level of history which includes a file name and a timestamp.

What are you doing to better track "chain of custody" of the neutral files? In other words, who sent the file to you, where did they get it, what metadata was in their system (P/N, rev, etc)?

One thought I've had is to make a version right after the import feature, and add whatever details I have in the description text, but I'm wondering if there are better methods other companies are using?

Comments

• matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @S1mon, I sometimes capture this sort of metadata in the properties for the document tab containing the neutral file; or in the properties of the Onshape part created from it.
  • JPMJPM Member, csevp Posts: 9 PRO
    We save a pdf of the email notification from our customer. We used to save it in the same folder as the data on the server.
    With Onshape, I now save it in the document with the data or as it's own document in the same folder as the data.