Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Have I misunderstood metric size hardware?

GlenGlen Member Posts: 7
When I ask for an M5 washer from standard content, I expect 5mm + clearance.
I see an interference highlighted by red.
When I check the ID of the washer I get 4.55.
Doesn't look right to me.

Answers

• nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    I just tried and its the same on my end. Except when I pick chamfered washer, it is a clearance size. Yes, that does not seem right? Maybe submit a help request?
  • GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    This is the case for some M4 washer too, I haven't had time to submit yet though
    I submitted a helpdesk request.
    I heard back from support. The washers we were finding were actually captive washers on screws (SEMs). That's why their diameter is smaller than the screw's major diameter. The traditional washers we were looking for are ISO 7089 or 7090.
  • glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Thanks or checking that out Nick
  • jmoellersjmoellers Member Posts: 3
     I replied to Nick's helpdesk request, but thought I'd share for the rest of the group.

I'm guessing you're using Plain washer large grade A ISO 10673 (or normal or small). This is the table from ISO 10673 for the small size (the ID is the same for normal and large sizes as well). M5 is 4.55 mm nominal. 

The reason for this is because washers from ISO 10673 are Plain washers for screw and washer assemblies, aka SEMS. I think you're actually looking for ISO 7089 or 7090. These are the more common ISO washers and have a 5.3 mm ID for the M5 size.